Home » Forums » Employees » I wasn't quite ready for THIS!

Home Forums Employees I wasn't quite ready for THIS!

• I wasn't quite ready for THIS!

Posted by Tom Piippo on December 9, 2019 at 6:13 pm

I recently solicited a technician to come work for me from another shop in another city (town). We struck an agreement and agreed on a starting date. He gave his employer 4 weeks notice (he was to start after Jan 1st) and the employer countered… with more money AND an ounce of marijuana every month! (It is legal in Michigan now!)

Hmmm, shows how crafty some shops are getting to retain help. By the way, I’m still looking (for help).

Tom

Chris replied 4 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jb

December 10, 2019 at 9:49 am

Strange new Employee Bonus program, lol

• Craig O’Neill

December 11, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Back in the day when we found out a tech used weed, they were told to quit the grass or hit the pavement.

I’d let that guy stay where the grass is greener!  Everyone I know that smokes left handed also has short term memory issues anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but MI business owners, are not prevented from making their own drug policies?  Right?

• Tom Piippo

December 12, 2019 at 6:59 am

Right you are, Craig. as long as its stated in the employee policy manual, Michigan employers can have a zero tolerance policy with drug testing as it applys to Mary Jane. Still a schedule 1 on the Fed level.

• Tom

December 12, 2019 at 8:15 am

Many people are surprised to find that an employer can “discriminate” for many reasons. Laws are generally directed at age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or genetic information.

There is no law (as best I know) that says an employer cannot discriminate against drug users, people with body odor, or Packers fans. 😉

Tom P. made a reference to Class I. Yes, the feds place marijuana in the same category as heroin, cocaine, peyote, and LSD. A first offense is punishable by a $5,000 fine and one year in federal prison. While many expect that to change, it is the current law.

• Kerry Moncur

December 17, 2019 at 11:19 am

Here in Arizona, you need a medical marijuana card to “legally” buy weed. Of course, just about any ailment from headaches to acne will get you a card. The problem I have with techs who use pot, is most of them have lost their critical thinking skills. Having a GS guy who uses is one thing, but expecting a pot head to acurately diagnose issues on modern cars is asking a lot. On top of that, most of the pot heads that have come through my shop have zero motivation.

• Richard Zaagman

December 23, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Ridiculous!!   That’s all I have to say about that.

• Patrick McElroy

December 23, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Slippery Slope. “Hey Bob (tech), finish this job quickly and there’s a “joint” in it for you.” Where will this end ? I surely don’t want to participate in this debacle. Just imagine a customer finding out that the person working on their car gets Marijuana as a work incentive.

• Chris

January 15, 2020 at 6:12 pm

I would be interested to know what his insurance company has to say about that?