Home » Forums » Customer Service » Unused Bays – DIY

Home Forums Customer Service Unused Bays – DIY

• Unused Bays – DIY

Posted by Vincenzo on August 21, 2019 at 10:35 am

Hello All,

Was thinking about renting out some unused bays to DIYers.  Anyone know what I should do as far as not being liable againsy any insurance claims.  How would I go about to set something like this up.  I would like to generate some income from there to put towards my lease.  I don’t use those bays enough.  My buisness is not busy enough to utilize them.  So much competition in my town, but I’ve seen an increase to so many DIYs in my town due to Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone down street from my shop.  Any suggestions?

J. Larry Bloodworth replied 4 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • eric davis

August 24, 2019 at 4:49 pm

I would not recommend it. Your time would be better spent on marketing to increase car count and make every car count via inspections and solid ethical  sales practices. I would add non traditional services that my competitors aren’t doing. Distinguish yourself in the market place and then re market to your existing customers in your database. 

• jbrenn77

August 26, 2019 at 10:00 am

I agree with Eric above, however, if you are going to consider it, you should definitely consult with your insurance broker about it to make sure you can get covered properly.

• Chris

August 27, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Eric is on the right track. Your job as shop owner is to fill the bays!! And not with DIYers! Create a marketing plan that works and get the cars in to get you where you want to go!

• J. Larry Bloodworth

September 5, 2019 at 8:05 am

Chris points out what most shop owners don’t do: Take on the role of Chief Marketing Officer.  For me, it’s the most profitable activity I can engage in.

-or-

You can take Bob Cooper’s advice and do windshield chip repair. I had to throw that in. 🙂