Home » Forums » Employees » Smoking and Vaping Rules / Policy for Employees

Home Forums Employees Smoking and Vaping Rules / Policy for Employees

• Smoking and Vaping Rules / Policy for Employees

Posted by Tom on November 28, 2018 at 4:16 pm

For your employees who smoke or vape do you have written guidelines that they must follow which limit what they can and cannot do while at the shop?

Can you tell us what they are? Or copy and paste them here (or attach)?

Thanks!

#automechanicsmokingrules

Randy Lucyk replied 5 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • cumminsdoc

December 3, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Unfortunately our shop does not have a written policy yet. Personally I believe allowing smoking and vaping on the shop premises is a poor decision by the owner. First of all it represent an unprofessional image to our customers. Especially when employees are smoking/vaping in the building.

Second hand exposure is also a very serious issue. Most of the time we have no idea what the medical concerns of our customers entering the shop are. As an industry we don’t need to be doing things that offend or injure our customers.

Lastly there is the financial aspect for the owner.  Many studies have shown that first of second hand smoke increases increased absenteeism and lower production. Many insurance carriers also offer substantial discounts for having a smoke free campus.  All in all there are many reasons to have a written smoke free campus policy.

• Frank

December 8, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Smoking

For the safety and the safety of others, it is the intent of Frank’s European Service family to create a smoke-free environment within our company.

Background: Smoking is the major preventable cause of premature death today, killing 1/3 to 1/2 million Americans annually. Nonsmokers, who comprise more than 70% of the adult population in the United States, are harmed by secondhand smoke. The hazards range from immediate reactions (eye irritation, headaches, and breathing difficulties) to long-term serious effects. Nonsmokers exposed to smoke may develop lung cancer and may lose lung capacity. Some employees already suffer from respiratory diseases, heart diseases or allergies; these especially susceptible individuals may be at risk in a  smoke-filled environment.

Therefore, no smoking will be the policy in all company areas except where smoking is specifically allowed. The far back of the building, against the fence (WEST wall) This will eliminate an unnecessary toxic substance from our workplace and support all employees in choosing a healthful, nonsmoking way of life. Smoking permitted areas may be established where smoking does not endanger life or property or cause discomfort to others or violate local laws. Smoking permitted areas will be designated in and will be limited to outdoors.

Human Resources will provide a variety of services to help employees who want to stop smoking, including literature, information on quit smoking clinics and referrals for other sources of help.

Employees who violate this policy on smoking will be subject to the same disciplinary actions, that accompany infractions of other company rules, up to and including Termination. This policy is one of the most important steps that our company can take to improve our work environment. We rely upon cooperation of all our employees.

• Richard Ehler

December 11, 2018 at 10:07 am

How often are they allowed to smoke per day?

• Craig O’Neill

December 13, 2018 at 1:03 pm

I can only speak to the fact that the absence of a written policy results in frustration.

I am not exaggerating in the least to say this was a catalyst for SUBSTANTIAL discord in our shop.

You should try being the SOB (son of boss) that was alert to the customers concerns on the matter, but had no actual authority (for many years anyway) to affect a change of policy.  Ugh.

• Tom

December 13, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Your great uncle Jack used to sneak a smoke out back every hour or so – this was back in the 70’s 😉

• Vincenzo

December 18, 2018 at 10:48 am

As per Fire code – No smoking in or around the shop.  We are required to have no smoking signs posted.  I’m in NY state

• Craig O’Neill

December 18, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Your great uncle Jack used to sneak a smoke out back every hour or so – this was back in the 70’s ?

HAHA!  I never knew Uncle Jack, but man have I heard stories.  I really need to hear your stories from that time periord eventually.  I only know them from grandpas perspective.  lol!

At least Jack would sneek out back.  When I was a kid coming around the shop ol’ Dick Moore was always smoking while he sat with one cheek on each of the two little cement pillars next to the gas main right by the front entrance.

• Sherman Bird

December 19, 2018 at 9:43 am

Smoking is nasty. It is very inconsiderate around those who have respiratory distress, not to mention it having no place in such a dangerous environment as an automotive shop. Many of the smokers I’ve mentioned this to are self righteous and staunchly defensive that it is their “right”. I got rid of one employee that was a jerk about being considerate when he decided that smoking out front was good enough even when he was asked to consider customers when they approached our business, and asked to think about that public image. The tail did not wag the dog in that instance.

• Randy Lucyk

December 19, 2018 at 9:12 pm

We recently instituted new drug policy and new smoking/vaping policies.

Neither have been reviewed by an attorney to determine if they are enforceable or legal.