Home » Forums » Employees » Service Advisor Performance

Home Forums Employees Service Advisor Performance

• Service Advisor Performance

Posted by premierauto on November 9, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Curious how other shops are tracking service advisor performance. With technicians, I typically see shops either tracking hours produced or efficiency, or both. For advisors, I’ve seen closing ratio (calculated 3 different ways), ARO, HPRO, and/or gross sales (usually with a GP% requirement attached). I’d love to hear what method shops are using on this forum to track their service advisors performance and how they go about calculating with, along with what their benchmarks/goals are for their advisors. Also any pros/cons on how they track the way they do.

larrybloodworth replied 6 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tom

November 10, 2017 at 9:55 am

I think you listed the main ones. You could add car count, effective rate, new customers, and this year vs. last year. This is one of those things where some shops track one number and the next shop tracks 100+ in a complex spreadsheet.

My thoughts on which are most critical:

Gross sales

Gross profit

Average RO

Closing ratio

Compared to previous week or month or year.

Most or all of the math should already be done in reports in a shop’s management software.

It’s easy to ignore it and just as easy to over complicate it – especially with numbers that are reviewed weekly.

• Larry Moore

November 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I believe one of the most important indicators is % or number of returning 1st time customers. If people are not comlng back we are wasting our marketing dollars, the S.A. is a major (but not the only) component of getting them back.

• Larry Moore

November 13, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I should add that the easiest way to track service advisor and technician performance numbers is QuickTrac Software.

• premierauto

November 13, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I should add that the easiest way to track service advisor and technician performance numbers is QuickTrac Software.

What numbers is QuickTrac giving you that you feel are an accurate reflection of your Service Advisors performance?

• larrybloodworth

November 13, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I don’t think it needs to be any more complicated than this.

1. Percentage of sales inquiries converted to an appointment.
    2. Percentage of appointments converting into a sale.
    3. Gross sales.
    4. Gross Profit margin.
    5. Average Repair Order

I’m in a lucky situation with a 6-store chain of local transmission shops to where our rebuild center writes all major transmission estimates for me.  If I can sell it at that price, then my numbers will work out perfectly.  If I choose to discount the amount just to make a sale, I know that’s going to hurt my numbers.  Last month, I only discounted 3 transmission jobs out of the 18 majors I sold.  I still kept the GP above 60%.  I only write estimates for minor work, and most of that has set prices.

We use a Conversation Analytics company name Convirza that runs the phone recording through an algorithm to score both the caller in quality of the lead and scores the service adviser, too.  A lot of business is either won or lost over the phone.  I know the phone is our most powerful sales tool.

We also have 104 Dynamic Number Insertion phone numbers that rotate for each website session and we know all the Google Analytics on each and every phone call.  We even know which page they are on when they call.  We also capture CallerID info too.  If it’s a landline, we know their address, but most callers contact us via smartphone with a 60/40 split between Android and iOS.

I get all of this data on a regular basis from the owner.

• George Smith

November 15, 2017 at 9:15 am

We used to go by the numbers for accessing our advisers,  now we add the history tracking for customers.  If you notice non-repeat customers, you usually have an issue at the write-up desk.

I personally call customers that do not return, talk with them, ask them for their business and find out what they didn’t like about our shop.  It takes time, but my time is cheaper than advertising to replace them for sure!

• Larry Moore

November 15, 2017 at 2:20 pm

What numbers is QuickTrac giving you that you feel are an accurate reflection of your Service Advisors performance?

displayed in real time are the average RO, car count, average upsell, total $ sold, hours dispatched, and completed work.  Analytics can also give you these same numbers by customer code (ie new customer by source, returning customer by source).  It also displays in real time the progress toward weekly goals.

• larrybloodworth

November 20, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Smith,

That has to work fantastic for the General Repair industry!   But I regret to report that doesn’t work so well for a transmission specialty shop like ours.  There’s an inside joke within the transmission industry that basically says, (paraphrasing)  “If it’s a repeat customer, it’s a comeback.” ?