Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » Quick $49 and $59 Quick lube oil changes with 27 point inspection

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops Quick $49 and $59 Quick lube oil changes with 27 point inspection

• Quick $49 and $59 Quick lube oil changes with 27 point inspection

Posted by Alan Ollie on December 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I’m scared to kill our avg ticket if we offer this type of service. The dealers are all doing it with success. People call us every day and say the dealer quoted them on many things. About 50% of what they tell people they need is not actually needed yet.

I had an idea for January to try this then market their recommendations only in February and March which are the best months of the year.
    Please give me your thoughts and comments thank you.
    ollie

Alan Ollie replied 10 years ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • lowellnigoff

December 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

You cannot take an average to the bank. For 30+ years we kept our lube, oil and filter changes below $30, most of the time at $19.95. Our costs were 2-3 times our charges for this service. We considered this to be, as called in marketing, a lost leader. Low priced lube service also served to keep our customers from going to other places. Because the loss of revenue is for marketing, you can charge the real cost and markup to your marketing account.

As to people calling you about dealer quotes, what about all the people who are not calling you and getting the work (needed or not) done at the dealer.

• John Shanderuk

December 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Dat be me I’ll give you a dollar for $6.42 all day long!
    That is a good strategy!

• Alan Ollie

December 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Update so far so good definitely increased car count and we have been able to keep a reasonably high average ticket.

Best of all I’ve got tons of reminders to send out over the next couple months

• zed

February 20, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Gentlemen – what we are talking about here is customer loyalty. But I have yet, in almost any discussion of customer loyalty to hear the number one reason most people don’t come back.

Let us first assume that those of you who are coming to a great forum like this – really care about your customers and give exceptional customer service. The Royal Treatment. With that as a foundation, putting all shops on an even keel, let us now look at the number one reason that only 30% of your new customers come back.
    First – let’s take a look at why the new customer came in. Probably because they got a postcard in the mail promoting your shop. It had a nice oil change price and a free car inspection. You looked nice so they came in with your card.
    Everything went well. They got their $19.95 oil change and found 5 things that needed additional service, but they said no to all of them. Even the cheap ones. So you collect your $20 and send them on their way telling them that at least one of the things needed should be tended to very soon for safety sake.
    Why did they not come back? Because they are a low income customer – who knows very well that if and when they come back they will have to pay full price for your services. And they cannot afford it. They will never come back at full price. (Which is the real goal of bringing them in – in the first place.).
    What is the failure. Auto repair marketing that delivers a majority of low income customers actually guarantees that your retention rates will be low.
    After 30 years of front lines auto repair marketing I have come to realize that – CAR COUNT IS MEANINGLESS. HIGH INCOME CAR COUNT MEANS EVERYTHING!
    Here is an article that goes into some detail about how to solve this problem – and to keep your eye on the real goal of auto service marketing. HIGHER INCOME. Copy and paste the link below.

• Site Administrator

Administrator
    February 22, 2014 at 9:04 am

Zed…one thing that we do to build awareness of Automotive Management Network is present management related classes.

One of our new classes this year is “Customers worth having”.

We presented it in Cincinnati and New Orleans so far and we received the best feedback of any class we have ever done. This strategy not only brings in more income, it’s a lot less stress and a lot more fun.

• theperfectday

February 25, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Zed Makes a great point, and It’s one I am continually trying to stress to my clients. Car Count is NOT enough. 

You need to make sure you are delivering the right message to the right customers. 
    But speaking of customer retention. One thing I don’t want to see overlooked here is the importance of follow up. Just because you give great service, and your staff was friendly and your shop is clean, does not mean that customer is coming back. 
    With service intervals getting extended and the massive competition these days, you need to be doing everything you can to build a strong relationship with your existing customers, and give them reasons to continue to do business with your shop. 
    A great mentor of mine told me long ago that marketing is not an event, it’s a process. If your shop is not getting a high percentage of repeat business you need to take a good look at your follow up process. An email when they are due for an oil change is not real follow up. 
    In-fact I would argue that instead of trying to figure out ways to get new customers it would be much more profitable to ask the question – “How can I get my existing customers to come back more often, and spend more money”?
    What are some thoughts?

• Frank

February 26, 2014 at 10:39 am

I never attracted a “good” or “A” customer with a deeply discounted oil change. Most people want value, and the one buying on price are often more trouble than its worth

Instead of always trying to increase car count, we spend about 50% of our marketing on non traditional methods including customer retention.  

The good customer never complain, never leave bad reviews, they just go away when not happy – so you need to know who they are, and make sure they’re happy

Frank Scandura III

President Scandura’s European Service DBA
    Frank’s European Service

http://www.frankseuropeanservice.com/

Editorial Advisory Board Member, ImportCar magazine

Advisory Board Member, College of Southern Nevada (Automotive
    program)

Independent Business Coach, Elite.  http://www.eliteworldwidestore.com/

• Alan Ollie

April 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

is 63% retention per year good or just avg. Meaning  the amount of customers who came in 2 times in one year.