Home » Forums » Auto and Truck Shop Management Software » Best shop management software

Home Forums Auto and Truck Shop Management Software Best shop management software

• Site Administrator

Administrator
    November 4, 2019 at 8:03 am

Matthew, the answer to this is going to be highly dependent on what you want the software to do for you. Shops vary greatly. Owners want different things even when the shops are similar. We suggest:

1: Make a list of features that are important to you.

2: Review the comparison chart and see which software systems fit your list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lRLSF-4f5VBaXMv4m_fAs4Vj0J5mzqg82Dk0bMTlRwE/edit#gid=350300638

3: Look at the detailed survey results for the ones you selected and narrow your list down further.

Survey results

4: Contact the ones remaining and ask for a demonstration.

5: Ask questions in the forums on this site.

Software is arguably the most important piece of equipment that you will purchase, so it is worthy of spending the effort to get it right.

Good luck!

• JeffreyD

November 5, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Matthew

I agree with Tom in making a list of what you want, in additional to that put them in order of importance.
    It may not be possible to get everything at your price point. You may have to let some things go.
    But also realize once you pick a system it can be difficult to change to another system without losing some information, re entry of some info, not to mention the time and even downtime of the system.

With that in mind one thing I would recommend is take full advantage of the trial period. Use the system exactly the way you would in the shop. Try every aspect of the software.
    If you have anyone else that will use the software have them try it as well.

I am a one man shop also and I researched all the software out there when I started but ended up with software that’s just OK. I wish I had spent more time in the trial period.
    Sorry I don’t have a software recommendation.

Jeff

• Greg Minnick

November 5, 2019 at 3:23 pm

We like ShopWare. I’ve tried several.

-Cloud based, so you can access it anywhere on anything

-Easy to add pictures and videos to document things

-Paperless

-Easy to create custom inspections and checklists

-Regular updates

-The owner of the company also owns a repair shop and knows what we are up against.

-Customers can access the repair order online and approve work online; easy documentation when work is approved

-Easy to learn

That’s the quick list of what I like. Good luck.

• Rick White

November 6, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Matthew,

Before you start looking at software programs, I strongly recommend coming up with a list of musts, a list of wants, and a list of like-to-haves from a software system. The reason I say this is because it’s very easy to get caught up in all the bells and whistles you’ll see in a demo possibly causing you to make a decision on a system that doesn’t really meet your needs.

I hope this helps!

Rick

• mtnmods

November 8, 2019 at 12:03 am

Huge leap. I’ve been through 11 software changes over the years. I am happy to say that Shop-Ware has been phenomenal in many ways. Not traditional, mind you, but amazing overall. You’re embarking on a huge move potentially, I encourage you to call many shops. You’ll never make a great decision based on forum comments or ratings. You may reach me at

https://www.simmonsauto.com/.

ask for Dean RE: shop software and I’ll make sure you get to me. Please again, contact a lot of shops. All software is a compromise but many of those compromises are simply a change in approach to your end game.  Hopefully I’m not crossing forum etiquette barriers here providing contact info. Again, please take your time and have many conversations.

• jbrenn77

November 10, 2019 at 3:56 pm

I like the YES system by Pace software.  Been using it since 2006.  As others said, make a list.  Then research.  Then demo.  It will take time.  The yes system doesn’t look as flashy as some of the others but it’s capabilities are huge and I’ve never lost data.  Support is good.  Scalable from one shop to as many shops as you want.  800-336-1615.  Ask for Dave.

• John Burkhauser

November 11, 2019 at 8:37 am

All of the above are great ideas and points.  Additionally I’d seek out a shop that is currently using the software you are considering.  See it in Real action in a real environment.

There is no perfect solution.  Find the on the fits you best.

• Shane Vasquez

November 11, 2019 at 9:00 am

Someone already said is but shops are. Found some interesting info as well. One day a Bosch rep stopped by. Apparently they are now the largest holder of stocks in the company. Software is so good they bought up as much as they could.

• Vincenzo

November 12, 2019 at 11:54 am

Hello I’m getting to the point of needing a shop management program . Seems to be many to choose from . I’m small independent shop owner working on just about everything cars trucks heavy equipment you name it I dont tend to turn down very much at all . Thanks in advance for recommendations an help on deciding which to choose

I have used AutoTraker since 1997 and it does the job.  Simple program.

• Mike

November 12, 2019 at 11:56 am

We changed to Shop Ware a year ago. We are a BCS and are very pleased with the product. Our customer base and staff like it alot.

Call me if you have questions.

Mike

JB Import Automotive

727 743 5951

• STEPHEN BIELENDA

March 13, 2020 at 11:29 am

I use ro writer not bad its a lot of money I think I paid 15,000 I dont like the monthly  thing like from Mitchel

• Unknown Member

April 15, 2020 at 2:23 pm

We’ve written a buying guide for shop management software that may help.

• Vincenzo

April 16, 2020 at 8:28 am

Hello I’m getting to the point of needing a shop management program . Seems to be many to choose from . I’m small independent shop owner working on just about everything cars trucks heavy equipment you name it I dont tend to turn down very much at all . Thanks in advance for recommendations an help on deciding which to choose

All depends on what you want to do with software program.  Inventory, sales tracking, etc. Many of these programs have trial periods.  Test them out but before you do that figure out what you need the program to do for you

• STEPHEN BIELENDA

April 16, 2020 at 8:59 am

Matthew, the answer to this is going to be highly dependent on what you want the software to do for you. Shops vary greatly. Owners want different things even when the shops are similar. We suggest:

1: Make a list of features that are important to you.

2: Review the comparison chart and see which software systems fit your list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lRLSF-4f5VBaXMv4m_fAs4Vj0J5mzqg82Dk0bMTlRwE/edit#gid=350300638

3: Look at the detailed survey results for the ones you selected and narrow your list down further.

Survey results

4: Contact the ones remaining and ask for a demonstration.

5: Ask questions in the forums on this site.

Software is arguably the most important piece of equipment that you will purchase, so it is worthy of spending the effort to get it right.

Good luck!

we are using ro writer it a very intense program dont use alot of it I dint think there is one out there that does it all first thing is you need a company with good support second I want to own my program hate paying every month for some thing you  dont own had a big problem years ago with all data shop program never again

• Vincenzo

April 1, 2021 at 8:29 am

I have used AutoTraker Plus since 1997 and have had no complaints