Home » Forums » Employees » 5-day work week scheduling

Home Forums Employees 5-day work week scheduling

• 5-day work week scheduling

Posted by takeit2thehouse on May 22, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I am wanting to give my employees a 5-day work week, while staying open on Saturdays. I have a six-bay shop that currently is staffed with a manager and asst. manager who serve as the service writers. I also have four techs. I’d like the managers to rotate Mondays and Saturdays off. I’d like the techs to get off a day during the week. I’d also like to rotate which tech gets the Saturday off. We also have techs and managers who have acquired large chunks of vacation time.

I’d like to ask the group how you set up scheduling if you have done something similar. I know I’m leaving out information that would be helpful to the discussion so please ask some clarifying questions.

Thanks,

Rick

Tom replied 9 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jeff Graser

June 2, 2014 at 10:48 am

We do this, although we have multiple locations so it may be a bit easier for us (we have floaters to fill in on days off when needed), but have done it since we had 1 location, all the way up to 12.  

In your case you have 2 service writers, would alternate their days off however works best, and you would have 2 days a week where only one service writer would be working.  We use floaters to cover for these days so we always have at least 2 service writers and 3 at the busier stores, and if we have days where we run short a person we typically try and do that on our lighter days, Tue-Thur is typically slower for us.
    Techs we do the same day, they each get one day off during the week and only one can be off each day so you always have 3 techs and in your case you would have 2 days where all 4 would be there. 
    Again we try to schedule so that we have the full staff on our busier days.  
  • Jeff Graser

June 2, 2014 at 10:49 am

We also have some rules, like when someone is on vacation, the others in that department may be asked to work 6 days (if we don’t have floater coverage).

• takeit2thehouse

June 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thanks, Jeff.  I know I didn’t mention it but we have 3 locations so we are using the ‘floater’ theory for service writers.  The vacation rule is a great idea – as we have a large number of employees who have 3-4 weeks vacation.

• Frank

June 3, 2014 at 6:56 pm

When you take a tech from one day on the week all you’re doing is moving 8 hours of labor inventory from one day to another.

Consider a four day work week. On a correct rotation the employee will have a 5 day weekend every three weeks.

You can add staff, increase production and not need additional shop space

Frank Scandura.
    Independent business coach, Elite Worldwide

• Tom

July 8, 2014 at 9:53 am

“Consider a four day work week. On a correct rotation the employee will have a 5 day weekend every three weeks.” 

Some version of this is a huge employee benefit. I often wonder why more shops don’t try it. The only catch is that it works best in larger shops.