Home » Forums » Customer Service » Why do People DIY Car Repair? You’re Probably Half Right

Home Forums Customer Service Why do People DIY Car Repair? You’re Probably Half Right

• Why do People DIY Car Repair? You’re Probably Half Right

Posted by Tom on March 15, 2023 at 8:23 am

Save money. Likely true for many.

But for many others, it has nothing to do with money. They’ve tried a handful of shops – all with fantastic reviews – and got inconsistent results at best. Pay a lot of money, get half-a– service, and take it back because it’s not fixed. After a while, if one has some basic mechanical skills, patience, and YouTube – many repairs can be done at home. And that is exactly what they do.

I live in two states, 1,200 miles apart. Cars at both houses. My shop is in one of those states. In the other one, I become a customer. Sometimes the service is OK. Most of the time there is one or more poor service issues. Very frustrating!

Rob replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Rob

March 16, 2023 at 2:24 pm

I think for the majority it’s either a bad service experience like you stated or a poor sales delivery. For the minority, it’s something they either grew up doing, grew up witnessing, or just enjoy doing. As GenXer I grew up watching my dad and my grandpa perform minor PM on their own vehicles which makes me feel I should do the same. I believe this is the minority but could play a small part in that decision. For most clients, I feel they would rather we do the work and save them time to do the things they prefer to do.