Home » Forums » Employees » What to do with the Old guy??

Home Forums Employees What to do with the Old guy??

• What to do with the Old guy??

Posted by George Smith on November 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I have a 18 year veteran in the shop. Through the years he has been a big assett to my shop and to the dealership. He is a wiz at gear work, diff’s, manual trans, ect…

In the last few years his flat rate hours have been on a steady decline. His average is now 18 hours/wk. I have talked with him, pushed him, even put him on a pay schedule that could show him a major increase in his pay, if he would turn more hours.

Nothing I have done has helped. Every payday he throws a fit about not making enough, but still no more hours. “Can’t pay my *&^% bills on this”, blah, blah, blah yall have all heard it!

My question is, what do you do about a veteran in this position? Any ideas out there? I could put him on a salary, if he where a drivability tech, but he’s not. He’s a good a/b line tech according to what he is working on. Has a “no big deal” attitude that is getting worse and yes my stress level is starting to build.

Any ideas would help!

Lee

Gary Keyes AMAM replied 10 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • nctransmission

December 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Wow George, I am really surprised that there aren’t some responses to

your issue. I don’t know if it is still an ongoing issue, but it

sounds to me like it’s time for a “s— or get off the pot”

conversation. This isn’t about you and he, nor is it about you and

your customer, this is strictly a business conversation. If he’s

providing you with 18 hours of billed work, and there is additional

work to be done (you’ve done your job and gotten a customer to come in

the door, buy your services) then your tech needs to step up.

If there are health issues, excuses, concerns, blah blah blah, it’s

all to be left outside the place of business. It’s not a personal

thing, and it’s not about any one individual, it’s about the health

and welfare of the BUSINESS.

Does your tech WANT to work there? Is there work to be done, and he

won’t do it, or he just takes forever to do what you have for him? Is

he trying to get you to fire him so he can have a 6-8 month holiday on

your unemployment insurance bill?

Good luck with that one, it seems like he’s taking advantage of his

tenure with you instead of returning the loyalty you’ve had to him

with his own to you.

• Tom

December 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm

George Smith wrote:

> I have a 18 year veteran in the shop. Through the years he has been a big assett to my shop and to the dealership. He is a wiz at gear work, diff’s, manual trans, ect…

>

> In the last few years his flat rate hours have been on a steady decline. His average is now 18 hours/wk. I have talked with him, pushed him, even put him on a pay schedule that could show him a major increase in his pay, if he would turn more hours.

>

> Nothing I have done has helped. Every payday he throws a fit about not making enough, but still no more hours. “Can’t pay my *&^% bills on this”, blah, blah, blah yall have all heard it!

>

> My question is, what do you do about a veteran in this position? Any ideas out there? I could put him on a salary, if he where a drivability tech, but he’s not. He’s a good a/b line tech according to what he is working on. Has a “no big deal” attitude that is getting worse and yes my stress level is starting to build.

>

> Any ideas would help!

>

> Lee

Lee:

Easy for us to make calls when we are not you. Having said that, all good things come to an end…and this may be one.

You said:

“He is a wiz at gear work, diff’s, manual trans, ect…”

and

“He’s a good a/b line tech according to what he is working on.”

I believe those should be past tense. He can’t be now with those hours. Sit down with him, have one last talk and if nothing changes….well…you get the idea…

(Can you use him elsewhere in the business?)

Oh…and please do not put him on salary…that will likely only make things worse.

• George Smith

December 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

As of now, , , , he is turning hours, going to school and has a somewhat descent attitude as compared. Had the “talk” and hopefully he will keep it up. Sent him home a couple of days to decide whether he wants to work here, that seemed to be the ticket

to the change in attitude anyway.

Thanks and I’ll keep yall up to date.

Very informative site btw!

• Gary Keyes AMAM

January 4, 2012 at 10:12 pm

How old is he, 18 years in the shop can mean he is still in his 30s or well into his 50s plus, is it related to age or ambition ?