Home » Forums » Employees » What to do when family is the problem?

Home Forums Employees What to do when family is the problem?

Tagged: 

• What to do when family is the problem?

Posted by davewoodford on January 28, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Looking for some advice. What do you do when the owners son works the front counter where 90% of the problems are? I have talked with my boss, the owner and he agrees with me 100% but is hesitant to tell his son. I started at the shop to help grow the business and we have made great improvements everywhere but the front counter.

pbrennan replied 8 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Tom

January 28, 2015 at 3:48 pm

From what I have seen the fix for that the vast majority of the time is that someone has to leave. 

• davewoodford

January 29, 2015 at 7:56 am

Thanks for the input Tom. I have been trying for 3 years now to assist in any way that I can. When I talk with my boss he says “I know”, “I agree” but still no change. The son has attended ATI owners and advisor training and talks to our coach weekly and still fails to implement change. He lets our customers steer the shop, doesn’t present courtesy checks or recommendations, and would rather do oil services all day.

• richie

February 3, 2015 at 11:06 am

I am the owner son.  Thankfully I was able to learn to be a “good” service writer, and a better store manager. If the “right” training has been provided along with follow up coaching. The best thing to do is help the owner to find the son a better fit in the marketplace for his skills. They will both be happier in the long run.

• hamim52

November 12, 2015 at 1:09 am

All relationships and families go through difficult times and experiencing occasional problems and conflict in personal relationships is normal. However, sometimes these problems can become overwhelming.

• pbrennan

November 13, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I think the absolute best scenario is a no-nepotism policy. 

Unless someone already brings a lot to the table and expectations & contingencies are thoroughly discussed and in writing, don’t do it. Eventually someone’s performance will suffer or issues will surface and feelings might have to be hurt. It’s tough to remain accountable to someone you’re close to.