Home » Forums » Everything Else » Using Color Coding on Shop work orders

Home Forums Everything Else Using Color Coding on Shop work orders

• Using Color Coding on Shop work orders

Posted by mikek on November 18, 2016 at 12:39 am

For those who have not made the transition to paperless work orders and inspection sheets, are you using color coding?

How is it implemented?
    What colors do you use?
    How do you work with stusu changing and the need to color over or add color?
    rayrippey replied 7 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Adam Woodill

November 18, 2016 at 4:52 pm

The only color “coding” I use is simply for my benefit:  I color code internal work and highlight “waiters”.   I am curious to hear exactly what you hope to accomplish by coding your orders.

-aw
  • Tom

November 18, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Before we went paperless we used red, yellow and green highlighters on tech recommendations to designate priority / importance.

Common uses of colors in management and inspections software systems include recommendations priorities, maintenance due/not due, parts vs. labor vs. notes, WIP screen statuses, appointment types, and types of job kits.
  • Alan Ollie

November 18, 2016 at 8:55 pm

We use ***** in order of importance 5 stars. if a customer has 6 mm left on brake pads its 3 stars  

if they are worn to 4 mm its 4 stars.
    Seeping Valve cover gasket is 3 stars but a hi pressure seep like a oil stand ie oil filter adapter seal it going to be 5 stars 
    I hope this helps . 
    We use Bolt tabilets on for all our techs but we still use stars for importance 
  • rayrippey

November 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm

In our software we added status ‘lights’. This way you can see at a glance what status a particular work order is in. We have Blue, Red, Gold, and Green. We defaulted them to Waiting, Parts on Order, Started, and Finished.

But, you can rename the statuses for your own use.