Home » Forums » Parts and Tire related topics » TIRE REPAIR PRICING SURVEY

Home Forums Parts and Tire related topics TIRE REPAIR PRICING SURVEY

• TIRE REPAIR PRICING SURVEY

Posted by Joseph Van syoc on August 1, 2017 at 6:02 pm

As I write this, my sister in law is telling my wife how a tire repair (screw puncture) just today cost her $30.  She lives about 40 miles away.  $30 is about twice what I have been charging, so am I way too low, or is that other shop out of line?  I always felt this service was under priced for the actual time involved, but price it on an average of shops in my area.

Alan Ollie replied 5 years, 8 months ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Tom

August 1, 2017 at 7:35 pm

FWIW, I’d say you’re way too low – and the place she had it may also be too low.

• Joseph Van syoc

August 2, 2017 at 1:53 pm

I generally set this price at 1/4 my door rate, and of course do a competitive survey in my area just to see where I am at.  So to day I surveyed not only my immediate area, but the surrounding 40 miles as well, and pricing seems to be around $28 in the Des Moines metro, and close to my price near me. (with most shops asking what the diameter of the rim is).  I did go ahead and make an adjustment in my pricing as my door rate increased about a month back and I hadn’t yet raised tire service prices to reflect that.  I for one have always felt that basic bread and butter services, such as oil & lube, and most tire services were priced too low, often being used as a loss leader.  One shop I surveyed, a discount tire dealer, actually offers tire repairs for free.  I have to wonder what percentage of the tires he sees get deemed “unrepairable”?   As usual, this is a balancing act between what I need to charge, and how much will end up pricing me out of my market

• kutneyautomotive

August 7, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Our price after tax is $31.46.  The service includes dismounting the tire, inner tire inspection, installing a plug patch from the inside and balancing the tire.  Of course if the rim is corroded we clean that also.  A good repair takes time and is worth every penny.  It doesn’t bother us at all that some national tire chains offer free flat repair.  They are welcome to do them for free all day long.  We are more than happy to the job right and charge a fair price.

• Jeff Ruffing

August 8, 2017 at 10:43 am

Big local chain near me offers 99cent repairs.
    They do a quality repair for that with removal,inspection, and patch.
    Their theory is to get the people coming in, and also making a judgement that this place is priced better on repairs than other shops.

It does backfire on some people.  I’ve had customers say that they had tire trouble right next door to that place, but said “What can you expect for 99 cents?!?”.   Brought it to me anyway.

I get $20 for puncture repairs.  Free if you bought the tire from me.

Rim bead leak is $30 something and is not free, unless I put the tires on in the last 12 months and didn’t warn you about needing new rims for corrosion.

• Gary Keyes AMAM

August 8, 2017 at 12:06 pm

We charge about $ 40 , includes dismount , repair, and re balance.  We do sell a lot of new tires and TPMS sensors on these repairs.   We do not do rope type repairs, only inside plug/patch.

• danrsauto

August 8, 2017 at 5:16 pm

We do it only the right way , we have 2 stores within a mile that does Free repairs , One store now tracks clients and will hold it to one a month, they were finding out back yarders was bringing in clients tires and getting them done for free. [ Go Figure ]

We our at average of – $31.00 OTD

• Vincenzo

August 9, 2017 at 7:53 am

I usually charge about $45 for a patch plug.  Only time i do a regular plug is if the puncture is not within that center tread. if close to sidewall i give customer option to install standard plug for $25 and no warranty or purchase a new tire.    Sold a few more tires this way.

• Joseph Van syoc

June 26, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Well I pushed it up to $18.75 which puts me about $5 over my average competitor (arghh) but I do post my business cards on local boards with a coupon for a free repair.  Do a few freebies here and there, not many though, but people tell me they do hang on to my cards!  Got a new lowballer in town, $45 hr door rate! Arghh! wonder how long he will last and how much damage he will do before he either folds or wakes up?

• SpencersAuto

August 14, 2018 at 11:05 am

FWIW, I’d say you’re way too low – and the place she had it may also be too low.

+1

• Alan Ollie

August 20, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Plugs free if they bought the tires from us. Patches are $40-$50 . They must sign a hold harmless. We tell most people to buy a new tire.