Home » Forums » Expense Control & Financial » Survey – Labor Charges

Home Forums Expense Control & Financial Survey – Labor Charges

• Survey – Labor Charges

Posted by Site Administrator on October 13, 2013 at 8:09 am

Which best describes your labor charge system?

_____ One hourly rate
    _____ Two or three rates
    _____ More than three rates
    _____ Labor matrix
    _____ Other ________________________
    Which labor guide(s) do you regularly use?
    _____ AllData
    _____ Chilton
    _____ Mitchell
    _____ Motor
    _____ Other ________________________
    tony johnson replied 10 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joseph Van syoc

October 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

Mine is three rates, although most labor is billed at the middle rate.  The low is used for promos, and the high rate for extended warranty or heavy diag.  Using the average to high real time labor guide times as I am in a rural area without parts delivery and the nearest jobber is 10 miles away.  Round trip tp the parts house takes me .6 and that gets reflected in my labor times, as well as parts margins

• Joseph Van syoc

October 14, 2013 at 11:20 am

I should mention that I do not add .6 to each job, but rather rely on the RT labor times to offset the fact that I have to run my own parts

• Gus Swensen

October 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I have 2 hourly rates. One for everyone and one slightly less for fleet customers with 10 or more vehicles. We use Alldata rates + about 20% X our hourly rate.

• Tom

October 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Which best describes your labor charge system?

__X___ Labor matrix
    Which labor guide(s) do you regularly use?
    _____ AllData
    __X___ Chilton
    __X___ Mitchell
    __X___ Motor
  • larrybloodworth

October 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm

We are a transmission shop.  We do mostly transmission and drivetrain-related work and no general repair.  The jobs we get are pretty repetitive to us.  We quit using hourly rates and the labor guide years ago.  We charge by the job and not by the hour.

Just like in general repair, if somebody had to do a water pump or timing belt on the same type of vehicle over and over they would get pretty quick and pretty good at it.  We beat the labor guide so bad because of that phenomenon, I got tired of explaining it and dropped the hourly charge concept because I think it is antiquated.  Most techs can beat most times unless it’s a first time repair.

When we have to charge an hourly rate, like insurance companies or extended warranty companies, we do charge $125/hr.  But even then, some of them say “We only pay $XX per hour.”  We have a choice of getting the difference out of the customer or letting it go.  We make that choice on a case-by-case basis due to the fact that the number of hours is sometimes so great that we don’t worry about it.

• tony johnson

October 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm

2 rates, Normal and normal x 1.5 for “Bring my own parts people”. Most won’t bring own parts then.
    We use Alldata 95% of time. 5% Mitchell and Chilton.