Home » Forums » Everything Else » Should Industry Trade Groups be Non-Profit or For-Profit?

Home Forums Everything Else Should Industry Trade Groups be Non-Profit or For-Profit?

• Frank

January 28, 2022 at 2:52 pm

I have sat on a number of non-profit boards, including treasurer, Non profit or for profit is a tax designation only and as a company is run for POSITIVE  cash flow,

So, a Non profit entity is not zero profit

• mtnmods

January 29, 2022 at 12:58 pm

“Not for profit” in my opinion and experience creates two problems.

Since there exists no entity that is completely selfless – always underpinned by a desire to gain some advantage; money, authority, respect, or any combination therein. While there’s nothing inherently wrong with this, it is in fact human nature, it establishes a breeding ground for corruption and affords the government more regulatory and elective control through so-called tax incentives and operational mandates.

I much prefer the “for profit” model as there is no question of its motivation and opens interactions up to free-market processes.

While either model’s greatest potential for errant practices is the fact that imperfect humans are at the core, the former has far more layers in which to avail impropriety.