Home » Forums » Employees » Leadership training for a great Tech

Home Forums Employees Leadership training for a great Tech

• Leadership training for a great Tech

Posted by rhopp on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 am

Seeking feedback on Leadership training or other ideas to help a great,

productive technician lead the less experienced/talented techs &

trainee’s in our business. This Tech is easily frustrated by work

habits, lack of motivation etc. We’ve had more than one that just

couldn’t live up to his expectations & burn out.

Any thoughts?

mbean replied 11 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tom

July 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm

What about getting him heavily involved in the creating of the

program/system for doing the training.

Maybe if the program feels more like it is his he will do better with

it?

• rhopp

July 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Possibilities, however I’m more looking for a “How to win friends &

influence people” approach.

To be more diplomatic & constructive in criticism’s. To use positive

phrases rather than negatives. He’s a great man, just not tolerant when

his sub-ordinates don’t take to it as naturally as he has.

Attached files

Attachments:

• mbean

July 27, 2012 at 1:53 am

Rob,

My initial thought is he needs a why?

Why should a great technician pour out all the experience and passion of his career to a bunch of whiney young kids who have not made a commitment to be all they can be.

Sounds harsh maybe but look at it from his side. Teaching less than optimal talent can be extreamly draining, frustrating and not very rewarding if the student wants/takes something for nothing.

Still sounds harsh huh! OK so back to the why- The best kid I ever mentored (he started at age 14 with me and now owns his own shop) That was rewarding- he turned out to be a great tech because he wanted it and had the determination to develope his talent. He never had a plan B.

That mentorship was always rewarding to me- like a father would be proud of a son but also finacially- I reaped the rewards of his training and talent. He became an assistant and my hours/production reflected it.

If you can’t find a good why that he can buy into with students that want to bad enough you are likely trying to do something that could be done in a better way.

I recently had the oportunity to visit Sinclair Community Collage for a Hunter Alignment class. Wow what a great program as I evesdropped in at the various doorways. The one thing that stood out was the difference in students dress- one kid was wearing sponge bob pajama pants.

Maybe it would be best to get out of his way and let him lead by example- Production over 100%(great pay for both of you) Spiffs/bonus checks/thank-yous presented in front of the young bucks may go a long way to encourage those dragging behind.

If he is getting older let him pick the one, when he needs a young buck helping hand- let the relationship unfold naturally.

OK let me put an end to this and hopefull offer some real help.

1) Look at it from his side (is he the kind of person who can deal with people or is he better left to be a productive technician)

2) Whats in it for him- Why? Can you appeal to his nobler side or reward him finacially for his extra effort?

3) After carefully considering the above- sometimes you can get some good mileage out of a challenge-and the challange may be best given to the student!