Home » Forums » Employees » How to give equal opportunities to multiple service advisers.

Home Forums Employees How to give equal opportunities to multiple service advisers.

• How to give equal opportunities to multiple service advisers.

Posted by Alan Ollie on June 1, 2017 at 10:53 am

When you have 2 service advisers on commission how do you make it fair so one adviser doesn’t hog all the customers?

johnschindel replied 6 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Tom

June 1, 2017 at 4:22 pm

You offer them equal opportunity, not equal results.

You get them both the same first class sales training and may the best man/woman win.

That’s the job of a salesperson. It’s competitive and incentive based.

Here’s the first piece of advice if you are the number two service advisor, but want to be number one – watch the driveway out front and when a car pulls in go out there, greet them and ask how you can help them. (Easy to do at your shop since it’s warm year round.)

• stevebfl

June 2, 2017 at 9:02 am

Just as bad as flat rate, commissioned service writers are just not a part of great customer service. The writer really has two things he must do well, support the tech and make the customers visit as pleasant as possible. The absolute last thing I want at my service desk is a writer badgering my customers to flush their wallets. When a customer sees a writer as a help then sales follow automatically. Image, image, image….. the writer is the first step in the formation of image. If sales are foremost on his mind, the best of customers will sense it and the process is hurting from the beginning. The writer has to be thought of as the customers agent in maintaining his transportation. Pay the writers well to the point that they want to do that job as lifesaver, concierge, transportation master.

• Rob

June 2, 2017 at 12:04 pm

If the #2 Adviser is a newbie then Service Adviser training would help a bunch.  We have trained with AdvisorFix and Chris Collins and it definitely made a difference in both our newbie Adviser and Veteran Adviser.  As long as the #1 Adviser is keeping the shop productive and moving work in and out successfully then I do not think I would make any changes other than asking #1 to help mentor #2.  If you see potential in the Adviser you are concerned with then maybe change up the pay plan and allow him/her to build up more confidence and work on becoming a customer collector.

• johnschindel

June 5, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Hi everyone:

I’d agree with everything that’s been said so far, particularly the training aspect.  I’ve just returned from a two day training seminar in Florida where we worked on presenting the menus offered almost all day, getting the word tracks right and making sure the advisors are comfortable presenting everything the shop has to offer, and not merely be order takers.

One thing the store could do if there’s a new advisor and he’s trying to build his clientele is to run a report for lost souls and allow that advisor to start calling those customers and invite them to return to the shop.  It’s definitely a numbers game, but if the advisor is that far behind the curve, they’ll have the time to make a couple of calls a day, at least.  I was speaking to a client today at a German franchise shop back east, and recommended they go as far back as ten years and just start making calls.

Thanks for the great conversation, I always feel like I learn something reading the posts on this site!

John Schindel

• Alan Ollie

June 6, 2017 at 5:03 am

What world do you live in, I’ve tried to get service writers to cold call and out right want to quit. Although a great idea and I have my brother doing it, I wish I had the management skills people on this site seem to have. I am trying to fill a service advisor spot for two months now, the applicants all suck. Either they want way to much guaranteed $ or they apply with no experience. I have been in business for 26 years and don’t want to groom a inexperienced person. I am way to lazy for that. Just my thoughts.

• johnschindel

June 6, 2017 at 11:41 am

Morning vdepot:

I live in a world where my suggestions come from 20 years of being a service advisor and service manager.  I’ve developed my opinions from seeing what worked from those positions and what didn’t.

I’m curious where your shop is located and what methods you’re using to find a new service advisor.  If you’d like to give me a ring later in the day I’d be happy to speak to you on the phone  and dig a little deeper into why you’re having the challenges in your shop.

John Schindel

(971) 255.3678

http://www.jsautoconsulting.com