Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » Google AdWords Pay per click

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops Google AdWords Pay per click

• dougfentiman

May 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Bump…

an old post that would be still interesting. Too bad there wasn’t a way for people to provide numbers without identifing themselves…

• Tom

May 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm

PPC currently limited to under $10/day.

No phone tracking.

• dougfentiman

June 1, 2012 at 6:39 am

I have created a PPC survey where you can enter your numbers anonymously. This way we can share without disclosing private business numbers.

Even if you are not using paid ads please take a few minutes to complete the survey. Should only take you a couple of minutes.

I will publish anonymous survey results back to the forum.

http://robertmaxim.com/849-ppc-ad-management-survey.htm

• dougfentiman

October 3, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Bump…

Nobody from AMN uses Adwords?

Non-AMN survey submissions show:

-general frustration in time requirements to manage effectively.

-can be a huge failure if not setup correctly.

-Adwords ‘Express’ is a dud. Google is happy to take your money to get you started but then ignore the account. (What would you expect for nothing…) Mostly a big sink hole of $$$ without active management.

-ad spend of <$300 requires average of 2 hours per week to self management.

-ad spend of $1,000 -> $2,500 requires average of 5 hours per week to self manage at a minimum.

-landing pages have HUGE impact on conversion rate (views compared to phone calls) and what the ads cost (Google Quality Score).

-ad text writing has Huge effect on click through rate.

-Adwords works VERY well when you get it dialed in…

• Alan Ollie

October 4, 2012 at 3:42 am

Spend about 600-700 a month. i get about 27-30 new customers per month .About $20 per new customer. We ask for a email address when they call so it also builds up your email list even if they don’t come in .

It takes about 3-4 hours a month to manage.

I have phone tracking .I think adwords is great for many reasons.They give you a downloadable spreadsheet on what the actual quarry’s are . Then you can change content so your natural search comes up high on the first page.

My shop is VW Audi only so it makes it easier to target campaigns.

I had Kim Click set up phone tracking it works great. http://www.clinkswebservice.com/

• larrybloodworth

October 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Alan Ollie Gelfand Pres. wrote:

> How much do you spend on PPC per month.

>

> Do not use PPC

>

> Using Phone tracking Yes

>

> 500 to 750 ________

>

> 1000+________X______

• dougfentiman

October 4, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Alan Ollie Gelfand Pres. wrote:

> My shop is VW Audi only so it makes it easier to target campaigns.

Thanks for your comments Ollie,

Google will not allow references to VW/Audi, Toyota/Lexus, BMW, and Ford in ads due to trademark challenges from vehicle manufactuers.

Have you found not being able to use VW/Audi in your ads impacted your ad response?

I suspect all manufacturers will soon act to protect their brands. Makes it difficult to advertise for independant shops who specialize in specific makes.

Anyone else run into trademark problems with advertising?

• larrybloodworth

October 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I believe running a logo of a carmaker that may hold water, but just the name, I disagree. To believe that is essentially to believe in the mattress police. You know, the cops that arrest you for tearing off the label off the end of your mattress under penalty of federal law. Yeah, right.

We spend about $8/click, $4K/mo. with Google alone and have about a 2.4%CTR and our average position is 1. We dominate our market by the old fashion way: we advertised our way to the top. The top 3 search engines are fully responsible for well over half our business. I can’t say how it would work for general repair, but for the transmission business, it works like gangbusters. And we list all the names of the car makes we work on and use them as keywords, too. It’s the wild, wild west online. Few rules and laws; and the few they have, are difficult if not impossible to enforce.

J. Larry Bloodworth

• Tom

October 9, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Larry Bloodworth wrote:

> I believe running a logo of a carmaker that may hold water, but just the name, I disagree. To believe that is essentially to believe in the mattress police. You know, the cops that arrest you for tearing off the label off the end of your mattress under penalty of federal law. Yeah, right.

> J. Larry Bloodworth

As I understand it, you can use the brand name if you do not use the logo and do not use their fonts and colors when you list the name (their fonts and colors are trademarked just like the logo). This would go for anything from signs to uniforms to website to print ads, etc. Also cannot say “authorized service” or similar language.

If someone knows differently, please respond.

• joecval

October 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm

> Larry Bloodworth wrote:

> > I believe running a logo of a carmaker that may hold water, but just the name, I disagree.

>

Tom Ham wrote:

> As I understand it, you can use the brand name if you do not use the logo and do not use their fonts and colors when you list the name (their fonts and colors are trademarked just like the logo). This would go for anything from signs to uniforms to website to print ads, etc. Also cannot say “authorized service” or similar language.

>

> If someone knows differently, please respond.

Tom,

My Google PPC ad was just denied because I used “Lexus” in it.

Here’s a copy and paste of why google disapproved it.

•Your ad has been disapproved because it contains a trademarked term: Lexus.

My Honda, Acura and Toyota ads have been approved and are running however.

• dougfentiman

October 12, 2012 at 5:42 am

Larry Bloodworth wrote:

> I believe running a logo of a carmaker that may hold water, but just the name, I disagree. To believe that is essentially to believe in the mattress police. You know, the cops that arrest you for tearing off the label off the end of your mattress under penalty of federal law. Yeah, right.

Google will reject your ad if a trademark is used anywhere in a text ad AND the trademark owner has filed a formal trademark claim/dispute. This is why you can use some vehicle names but not others (I expect all manufacturers will file a claim very soon). But you are allowed to use trademarks as a keyword.

> We spend about $8/click, $4K/mo. with Google alone and have about a 2.4%CTR and our average position is 1.

Of the clicks you what percentage would contact you?

What percentage would become a paying customer?

I can’t say how it would work for general repair, but for the transmission business, it works like gangbusters.

From my experience it is easier to target a specialty service or specific vehicle make. General repair has so many more keywords and requires a lot more work to optimize them all for higher quality score and lower bid prices.

• dougfentiman

October 12, 2012 at 5:53 am

Joe Valind wrote:

> > Larry Bloodworth wrote:

> > > I believe running a logo of a carmaker that may hold water, but just the name, I disagree.

> Tom Ham wrote:

> > As I understand it, you can use the brand name if you do not use the logo and do not use their fonts and colors when you list the name (their fonts and colors are trademarked just like the logo). This would go for anything from signs to uniforms to website to print ads, etc. Also cannot say “authorized service” or similar language.

> > If someone knows differently, please respond.

> Tom,

> My Google PPC ad was just denied because I used “Lexus” in it.

> Here’s a copy and paste of why google disapproved it.

> •Your ad has been disapproved because it contains a trademarked term: Lexus.

> My Honda, Acura and Toyota ads have been approved and are running however.

I have had Toyota and Lexus denied. Honda and Acura are OK at this time.

Google has very specific trademark rules and it is worth reading them carefully. They send me a very stern 2nd warning to DELETE any ad containing a trademark. ‘Pausing’ while I read the “fine print” was not good enough and said that not following their order was grounds for cancelling your account…

• larrybloodworth

October 14, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Did you use Lexus as a single keyword? Or in what context if it was used in in a multi-word keyword?

I have every major car make followed by the word “transmission” as a keyword and the only one I was Google-slapped on was Mini. No great loss. Maybe that will all change tomorrow, but I don’t see how they can do that when describing a vehicle a shop works on.

To me, that’s restraint of free trade and also infringes on the right to repair act. Because we have different experiences on this, I can’t help but wonder if it’s not localized by the dealer’s complaints to Google.

Google does have a system in place to where if any advertiser believes another advertiser is using their name as a keyword, they can fill out an online form and Google will check it out and make the offending business remove the complaining business’s name from their keyword list. I believe that’s what happened to me with Mini because there’s only 1 Mini dealer in our state and we have taken several transmission jobs out of their shop.

If Google wanted to take any or all car makes out of the entire global keyword lists, they could do so. That’s why I believe it’s localized by the car dealers who complain to Google; and why I have a different experience than you.

Larry :-)

• Tom

October 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Larry Bloodworth wrote:

If Google wanted to take any or all car makes out of the entire global keyword lists, they could do so. That’s why I believe it’s localized by the car dealers who complain to Google; and why I have a different experience than you.

>

> Larry

Thanks, Larry! That explains why we can get about half of the car makes through Google here and the others are rejected.

• larrybloodworth

October 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Other transmission shops in our area have all the other transmission shop’s names as keywords. I think that’s wasting money. One of them has complained to Google. So, nobody is using their name anymore. Not that it really mattered to begin with. I guess they think they may be stealing business from another shop by using their name as a keyword. I don’t think so.

I have neither complained to Google nor used any other shop name. What can they do when a car make is part of a shop’s name? http://www.wernersmercedes.com/

It will be interesting to say the least.

BTW, Google posted a video about 2 weeks ago that had a lot of good tips about driving phone traffic from a web site. I shared with other members of a tranny forum I’m on a lot and I was surprised to learn nobody had ever heard of having a separate mobile vs. desktop campaign like they mentioned in the video.

I separated mine well over a year ago and they explain why around 12 to 13 minutes into this 24 minute video –> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhAlPtnU438