Home » Forums » Everything Else » Fluid flushing intervals

Home Forums Everything Else Fluid flushing intervals

• Fluid flushing intervals

Posted by acoliajja on August 2, 2018 at 10:22 am

We created our own fluid exchange mileage intervals  because most fluid time tables are not listed in alldata .  Here is what we use . transmission , transfer case , and differential every 50k . power steering fluid every 30k . brake fluid every 2 years . coolant every 5 years or 100k . fuel system cleaning every 30k . do you think its ok to create your own fluid exchange mileage intervals ?

cumminsdoc replied 5 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Tom

August 2, 2018 at 11:18 am

Since there are so many different drivers and conditions and uses it only makes sense to adjust intervals accordingly.

At our shop we keep it pretty simple. We use the factory schedule and adjust it if the fluid is definitely in need of service sooner as noted in our courtesy inspection.

We’ve found this to work extremely well with most customers and vehicles.

HTH

• Jim Masella

August 2, 2018 at 6:38 pm

I agree with Tom. The only thing we do extra on top of the factory maintenance is brake fluid flushes that I don’t seem to find in the manual on most manufacturers.  If we find a fluid is dirty During our inspection we will recommend it whether it’s due for my mileage or not according to manufacturer.   Seems to me that every 30,000 miles per power steering flush is is a bit excessive, we hardly ever do them unless the fluid is real dirty. You won’t find that in an owners manual.

• acoliajja

August 4, 2018 at 11:03 am

How often do you do brake fluid flushes ?

• Tom

August 4, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Brake fluid flushes:

1 – Manufacturer schedule

2 – Test results – we check every car for excess moisture

3 – If pushed for an interval when test passes and not in the schedule, 3 years (Honda interval for many years).

• Chris

August 11, 2018 at 1:32 pm

I always tell my clients to sit down as a shop and come up with schedules that YOU believe in as a group. If they don’t believe in what they recommend then they won’t sell it.

• Richard Ehler

August 14, 2018 at 9:46 am

We follow the Valvoline program which is similar to BG. Both are about every 30k miles and you get a warranty on the part that the fluid was changed.  Does seem like owners manuals are telling owner very little needs to be done. I know the dealership will tell otherwise, yet the customer will accuse us of overselling beyond the owners manual??

• cumminsdoc

August 15, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Personally I do not believe in flushing transmissions. The best recommendation I have for them is a drain and refill with a filter change if accessible every 30-60k depending on how the vehicle is used. I have seen too many problems caused by the seal swellers included in the flush chemicals used in most systems. The flushing process also disturbs debris that is better off left alone.

As for brakes I believe in flushing at every pad and rotor replacement unless it has been less than 30K since the last flush. Tom Ham’s process of checking for moisture is the best indicator if you have the tester for it.

I see no reason to flush power steering systems more often than every 50k.

Cooling systems should be flushed every two years regardless what the bottle of coolant says. I only use that manufacturer specified for the vehicle. Once you see coolant turn in to finger jello and have to replace every component that coolant touches in a vehicle you will no longer believe that is such a thing as “universal” or “global” coolant.