Home » Forums » Equipment And Tools » Air Hose Reels and LED Drop Light Questions.

Home Forums Equipment And Tools Air Hose Reels and LED Drop Light Questions.

• Air Hose Reels and LED Drop Light Questions.

Posted by chogan on February 10, 2017 at 5:40 pm

OK folks, my current pet peeves are quality air hose reels and led drop lights.
    Who can recommend a good quality hose reel that will last more than 2-3 years?
    I have used 3 different reels from NAPA and the best has lasted about 4 years. LED drop light technology completely escapes me. I cant understand how they can make 12V LED lights that light up the entire countryside for my truck but I can’t find a LED drop light that will sufficiently light up an engine bay or undercarriage. 12V or battery powered would be acceptable but I am coming up empty in my search. I have purchased several from the tool trucks to the internet with no real luck. They are just not bright enough or do not project enough. My eye site will soon chase me from the industry if I don’t find sufficient lighting.
    Anyone have a hose reel or drop light they love?

NION MARVIN replied 1 year, 8 months ago 11 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Tom

February 13, 2017 at 8:01 am

I read about these and bought one for the shop to see if they liked it. Had to buy more as they were always fighting over it.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCL510-12-Volt-Max-Worklight/dp/B0043XX8AO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1486990611&sr=8-6&keywords=dewalt+light

The price looks cheap at first, but after you add a charger and 2 batteries for each one you buy, it adds up – but worth it.

#autoshopworklight

• Richard Zaagman

February 14, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Well, I went for 40 years in this business without using air reels, just had hoses hanging on the wall. Cheap, but doesn’t look very nice cause the hoses are always on the ground. Recently I installed 7 reels. I decided to go with Harbor Freight. BAD decision. They are cheap. Most are still working yet after a little over a year, but the hoses have self destructed. I’ve had to replace all of the hose with good quality hose. So this reply doesn’t answer your question, just tells you and others what NOT to buy. I did however just purchase a Goodyear reel and hose to replace one of the Harbor Freight ones that broke a spring, it’s only been in operation for a few months though but the tech likes it much better.

• Gary Keyes AMAM

February 14, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I have been using Lincoln Air Hose reels that I buy through WorldPac, 50 foot 3/8 hose is less than $ 200. Hoses last us about 7-8 years.
    Drop light reels that I have provided get beat up in a hurry, Techs supply their own lights now.

• Greg Waite

February 14, 2017 at 5:49 pm

We still use mostly corded lights, this one seems to hold up better than most: http://www.saftlite.com/pstubby-ii-25ft-cord-no-switch-with-ballast-in-headp1182

We have Bosch 12v cordless tools so I’m going to try their version of work light https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-FL12-12-volt-Cordless-Light/dp/B00OKGAERO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1487111070&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+12v+light – will report back

Recently been buying Cox Reels from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/350/=16ctkqd Kinda pricey but HD & seem to be good

• Patrick McElroy

February 14, 2017 at 5:54 pm

I agree with gkeyes, I pay for the lights on the ceiling of the shop and the techs buy their own work lights. When I had drop lights they were abused because they did not pay for them. All of a sudden their own lights last forever. My experience with hose reals is that they last much longer if the techs don’t YANK on the hose trying to get it to unwind all at once. That drives me mad. I have HTHR-50FT hose reals and they’re ten years old. Google Greg Smith Equipment. I have to change out a hose once in a blue moon, but the reals are still going strong and don’t leak air. They don’t look “top of the line” but I have no complaints.

• Aaron Schreur

February 15, 2017 at 9:18 am

I’ll second the lincoln reels 4-5 years on it. Flexzilla hoses are the best ive found but the biggest enemy of hoses is whos using them while the torch is spraying at it on the floor or dropping rotors on them… you get the idea.

Lights are the biggest issue for me as well lately ive been using a petzl headlight setup with rechargeable batterys wherever you look theres light I love it but could still use a good drop light

• Andrew Tobias

February 15, 2017 at 11:45 am

I wish I could help. I installed air reels, drop lights, and drop extension cords when I built my shop 16 years ago. Have had some issues with drop lights and cords but none with air or oil reels. I think they were Lincoln but cannot be for sure. They are 30 feet up so not easy to get up and look at either.

I have had to replace 1 or 2 springs and reseal one or 2 but overall for 16 years they owe me nothing.

BTW, I wouldn’t buy or use anything from Harbor Freight.

Good Luck

• Andrew Tobias

February 21, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I just had my reels “rebuilt”. Cost $2,500 for 15. They are Balcrank. Bought them in 2001 and they started leaking around the swivel. Price includes replacement of all the hoses, ball stops, and water bibbs. Most of the cost was in the lift required to reach them 30′ in the air.
    I’d say that’s pretty good service.

• jardcrocker

November 2, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Hi..as per my knowledge DEWALT DCL510 12V MAX* LED Worklight is a handy, versatile worklight/flashlight that provides useful for almost any circumstance. It has a brights LED output of 130 lumens.

<object id=”__symantecPKIClientMessenger” style=”display: none;” data-install-updates-user-configuration=”true” data-supports-flavor-configuration=”true” data-extension-version=”0.5.0.161″></object>

• mro_knight

December 5, 2020 at 1:40 am

Ich habe versucht, Cox-Brötchen bei Mcmaster in Deutschland zu bestellen, aber sie versenden nicht außerhalb der USA. Aber ich habe diese alternative Website gefunden, Raptor Supplies, die den gesamten Mcmaster-Katalog nach ganz Europa liefert.

I tried to order Cox buns from Mcmaster in Germany, but they don’t ship outside the US. But I found this alternative website, Raptor Supplies, which delivers the entire Mcmaster catalog to all of Europe.

https://www.raptorsupplies.de/b/mcmaster-carr-deutschland

• NION MARVIN

July 27, 2022 at 4:25 am

After trying a few different LED lights at wall work service I found the best solution was just a good (600 lumen) headlamp. Unless you are running a cab it allowed me to see everything. That was too if I had to inspect the machine I already have the light handy. My problem was that the lights always moved. Now I use a Lupine neo x4. It’s pretty expensive, but it’s also utilitarian because of having the same batteries as my bicycle headlight.