Home » Forums » Parts and Tire related topics » Wrong and defective parts

Home Forums Parts and Tire related topics Wrong and defective parts

• Wrong and defective parts

Posted by charles longo on April 10, 2019 at 9:24 pm

Is anyone out there suffering from constantly receiving the wrong parts? And is anyone suffering from bad reman calipers, regardless of brands? If so, what are you doing about it? Thanks for your input.

William Pankiw replied 2 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Tom

April 11, 2019 at 11:47 am

We do 99% of parts look-up and ordering ourselves strictly by using the VIN. Most of the time if the part is wrong its because they pulled it wrong at the parts store or got it mixed up on the delivery truck, and that does not happen often.

For calipers and similar parts once we find a brand that works well it is very hard for anyone to get us to try another brand. If you want to know what brands we use for any kind of part send me an email.

• Matthew Potter

April 12, 2019 at 8:53 pm

x2 with Tom. 

We’ve been ordering our parts electronically as well and it’s almost eliminated this issue 100%, aside from some brake measurement issues…Calling the parts store is a pain now that we’ve been doing the leg work ourselves.  

• William Pankiw

April 15, 2019 at 8:15 pm

X3 with Tom

With the fast pace of my shop, we can not risk the hassle of letting a counter guy order the parts we need.  Everything is VIN driven on most all of our supplier’s web sites (Except the OEM Dealers).  And sites like Motorcraft have VIN filters to help narrow down getting the correct part.  As far as calipers, that is like a revolving door with every supplier we have used.  I just had a meeting last week with the national sales manager of a large supplier with no real answers to all the problems we are seeing.  So I left him with “Sounds like a YOU problem” and are now once again trying some other suppliers.  The quality of remanufactured parts in our industry is just pitiful, the only thing consistent, is the inconsistency of the quality.

• Joseph Van syoc

April 18, 2019 at 7:26 pm

I look up my own parts, so if it is wrong, more often than not I can find the problem in the mirror.  There are of course, mis-boxed, pulled wrong sku and my personal favorite, the mid year production change that no one knew about.  As far as the calipers, haven’t run into that yet, but over the years have seen bad runs on many parts from starters to fan clutches.  The worst part of that is the diag time you spend proving the part is bad, trying to locate it from a different source ( you would be surprised how many brands come from the same plant) and convincing your jobber, that yes, this really is the FIFTH part that is no damned good without losing your temper,

• NION MARVIN

November 29, 2021 at 2:26 am

It looks like you have a problem with a dealer and a problem with your local service representative. I at motor trader don’t waste time waiting for a service representative. I find the problem, send him a photo and fix it or use VIN code very useful method.
    The warranty covers only defective parts (including damaged internal parts). You will get (if your dealer is worth anything) the part of the money covered by the warranty, but you still have pocket money for the lazy dealer.

• William Pankiw

November 29, 2021 at 11:49 am

Repairlinkshop.com has now given us an outlet to look up and ordering most all OEM parts through our participating dealers, but as we have found, their cataloging is not always correct even looking everything up by VIN.  Auto / Truck repair has never been an exact science and NEVER will be..