Home » Forums » Auto and Truck Shop Management Software » Using QuickBooks Pro Desktop As Your Shop Software

Home Forums Auto and Truck Shop Management Software Using QuickBooks Pro Desktop As Your Shop Software

• Using QuickBooks Pro Desktop As Your Shop Software

Posted by J. Larry Bloodworth on April 7, 2022 at 4:15 pm

I’ve used 3 different shop management programs over the years, including Mitchell.  Around 2000, I started using QuickBooks in lieu of my shop management program.  For a couple of years, I ran both programs in parallel because I didn’t know QB very well.  I slowly learned that I could tailor QB to the way I ran our shop, not the other way around.  I discovered that I could design my own estimates, repair orders, reports, chart of accounts, not to mention accounting.  It was a revelation to me.

I’m speaking of QuickBooks Pro Desktop, not the online version.  To me, the online version is a very “lite” version of QB Desktop.  The more I used it, the more I learned I could do with it.   I’ve attached a sample estimate I designed.  To be clear, we are a transmission specialty repair shop, not GR.  No more monthly fees or having somebody holding your data hostage.  While there IS A HUGE learning curve, but I found it’s well worth it.

QuickBooks is the gold standard when it comes to small business accounting.  Although my wife is an accountant, we still had a CPA.  We could simply email a copy or our books to the CPA and he loved it.  Actually, he gave us a discounted price because we were less hassle.  As far as I’m concerned, QB is the best shop software.  For the first year, I paid a small fee for customer support.  After that, I just took the ball and ran.

J. Larry Bloodworth replied 1 year, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.