• Posted by joekessel on February 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm

We are attempting to establish a fee for resetting tire pressure monitoring systems. Some vehicles are simpler than others. Possibly clock time with a minimum or maybe flat-rate. What do you think knowing time is money?

hemitom replied 12 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • tony-gobble

February 20, 2011 at 2:54 am

We usually don’t charge anything because people are not educated about the systems and everyone else seems to be giving it away. I raised the rate on all my tire services to try to compensate for lost revenue due to TPMS. If there is a faulty sensor then we charge for the repair but if it is just a reset due to low pressure or a rotation there is no extra charge.

Here is what walmart is doing http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=495845

• jay-mathes

February 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I think discussing actual price/time is not allowed.

That said, there is a lot of real estate between rotating tires and relearning positions when needed to a ‘squishy tire’ lamp blaring with a non pressure related issue.

I think the former should be built in to a rotation price. Some sort themselves out without any fuss.

Actual problems handled like any other system testing quote.

• Jay

March 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

we have done free rotations on new sets of tires we sell for about 15 yrs.we have a set rate of 15.00 on resets for about the last 3yrs and have had no trouble.

• hemitom

May 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

We charge $10.00 with no problems. That’s a six minute charge.