Home » Forums » Shop Design & Efficiency » Tow-ins – placement of dropped vehicles

Home Forums Shop Design & Efficiency Tow-ins – placement of dropped vehicles

• Tow-ins – placement of dropped vehicles

Posted by rhopp on January 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Here we are again, late January, at least two feet of snow and the

wrecker drivers that don’t know us well seem to drop the friggin

vehicle off as far from the bay doors as possible.

We pack the cars together to facilitate a clean lot, yet they have no

clue.

Considering two small signs to indicate where they belong, then if

ignored, demanding they come and move the vehicle or bill them.

I hate extra signs and don’t want to be a sphincter but this last one

was bumped by our plow guy, & cost him a chunk of deductible.

Any thoughts on how to handle this better?

fordtelservice replied 13 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    February 2, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’ll be watching THIS thread. Probably took me ten years in business before MOST of the towing companies even gave a rat’s arse. Been delivering do-nuts at the holidays for the last few years to the three AAA towing companies and now (eight more years later) my routine is known and followed pretty well – still the occasional independent or out-of-town towing company will plant a car anywhere but 90% get dropped where I would have asked had I been there. Good thread!

• billqual

February 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I have signs on my gate asking them to not leave cars in front of the gate. They think no one will know how lazy they are. We have cameras and can see what company it was. We have fired a couple of companies that didn’t get the clue when I would call and ask them to leave the dead cars in a parking spot.

• Patrick McElroy

February 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Steve has the right idea, feed them once in a while. In the summer time, I have ice cream bars on hand for the parts drivers of my suppliers. These drivers tend to deliver to me a little more promtly when I need something fast. As far a training a tow truck driver I only have one comment, “They’re Tow Truck Drivers”.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    February 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I agree with Steve also. Speak to them through their stomach! We keep a candy dish at the counter and it is a favorite of tow truck and parts drivers. But when they are someone that you dont normally deal with, a strategically placed sign (maybe near your night drop box) would be a good idea. HTH

• Phillip Flowers

February 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Dedicate a “dead drop row”, make sure it has plenty of room to work as unloading a disabled vehicle takes more space than a normal parking spot (and see how fast it fills up with running cars). When a tow operator brings in a vehicle during business hours, meet with him or her and advise them of your after hours wishes. The tow operator’s primary resposability is to deliver the vehicle to its destination damage free. Nothing is more frusterating and nerve wrecking than pulling into an unorganised cramped lot. Common sense and respect on both sides make for good business partners.

And Pat, shame on you.

• Patrick McElroy

February 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m sorry Phil. It was wrong for me to generalize. It will do my best to not let it happen again.

Pat

• fordtelservice

February 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Well put, Phillip. Common sense and mutual respect go a long way in dealing with customers, vendors, employees, family, and all other human beings.