Home » Forums » Parts and Tire related topics » Torque Stick Policy?

Home Forums Parts and Tire related topics Torque Stick Policy?

• Torque Stick Policy?

Posted by Tom on August 12, 2014 at 8:14 am

Torque Stick Policy? Thanks in advance for your input.

Please check all that apply:

_____ OK – No specific guidelines.

_____ OK – But only following a specific shop procedure (feel free to include your guidelines if you have them).

_____ OK on some types of wheels, but not others.

_____ OK on some makes of cars, but not others.

_____ OK to partially tighten wheels, but final tightening must be by hand.

_____ Not OK to use at all when tightening wheels.

Greg McConiga replied 9 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Scott Waddle

August 12, 2014 at 11:21 am

_____ OK – But only following a specific shop procedure (feel free to include your guidelines if you have them).

___X__ OK on some types of wheels, but not others.

__X___ OK on some makes of cars, but not others.

I trust the techs to choose the right approach to tightening wheels.  Proper inspection and cleaning of mounting surfaces, torque sticks, torque wrenches  and common sense have served us well.

• Andrew Tobias

August 12, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Personally, I don’t like torque sticks.  First, they are inaccurate when new.  So much depends on the amount of force the air tool applies and how long the tech hits it with the air tool after initial bottom occurs.  Then as they are used their performance degrades rapidly.  I have followed my techs with a torque wrench after they have tightened wheels and they have always, without fail, been over tightened.

Here’s my responses:

____ OK – No specific guidelines.

XX     OK to partially tighten wheels, but final tightening must be by hand USING A TORQUE WRENCH.

Our policy is if the torque wrench immediately clicks without any movement from the lug nut, then it is to be loosened and retightened using the torque wrench.  It is best to use the lightest stick in the box.  It still saves time doing it this way.  A torque stick is not accurate.
  • chogan

August 12, 2014 at 8:26 pm

__x___ Not OK to use at all when tightening wheels.

We used torque sticks for 15 years and suddenly we started having problems with loose lug nuts. Even after having every technicians air wrench tested by the Snap On Tool Commercial Sales truck. We now require all wheels be torqued by hand and all day long you will hear “torque check bay ?” and a second tech rechecks! No loose lug nuts in the 3 years since we stopped using torque stickas!

• Patrick McElroy

August 13, 2014 at 12:01 am

We have been using torque sticks for fifteen years at my shop and I have been using them longer than that. The only loose wheels we have come across are the ones with corrosion around the hub surfaces. We make sure that both the hub and wheel are clean before tightening . Any worn lug nuts are replaced. We don’t use torque sticks on wheels that the lugs nuts have small clearances with the finish of the wheel. We hand tighten them and finish with a torque wrench.

• Greg McConiga

August 31, 2014 at 9:19 am

Not ok too use at all.  I’ve tested them repeatedly and final torque for a hundred pound stick can vary from 75-140 lb-ft depending on gun, air pressure and technique.  Plus they have to be replaced periodically because the calibration changes with use.  Torque wrenches only and they are calibrated annually.