Home » Forums » Employees » Tip #100 – How Much Time Am I Allowed? – Sample Tip from Premium Member’s Area

Home Forums Employees Tip #100 – How Much Time Am I Allowed? – Sample Tip from Premium Member’s Area

• Tip #100 – How Much Time Am I Allowed? – Sample Tip from Premium Member’s Area

Posted by Site Administrator on September 4, 2016 at 3:39 pm

How Much Time Am I Allowed?

A common complaint among shop owners is how often their techs go over the allowed time, especially for testing. Do you always make it crystal clear how much time is allowed? Are the times clearly written on the RO next to each labor operation with a big red circle around them? Is a reasonable written explanation mandatory when the time is exceeded by more than a tenth or two? Has it been made clear that any and all information that the tech has which may affect the time is welcomed and encouraged? Putting these systems in place will typically achieve two things: Less time wasted and improved labor estimates. In this economy most shops could use both.

lowellnigoff replied 7 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • lowellnigoff

September 11, 2016 at 12:09 pm

In allotting time, testing and repair should be handled the same. 

If you assigned a vehicle to a tech saying this car it is hesitating and he came back to you in a short time and said I can fix car and it will take 1 1/2 hours. The first thing you would ask if what are you going to do? 
    In diagnosing/testing the tech should be clear what he is going to do. 
    Tech: “I am going to test drive the car to confirm problem and possibly suggest fix next step. I will need .25 to .5 hours.” Let’s say the tech returns and says “The vehicle is hesitating because the transmission is slipping. As I had time left I check and found the transmission low on fluid. I topped off and drove. Hesitating is no longer present. It is fixed. .5 hours + 2 quarts fluid.” 
    At that time the tech might recommend more time to determine (test/diagnose) where the fluid went. Tech: I will need .5 hours additional to raise the car and Inspect the transmission for leaks/loss.” Based on what the tech finds he may be able to suggest a fix for the leak or the need for additional time for testing. 
    A tech should be specific on what he will actually be doing when requesting time for test/diagnosing. 
    Former shop owner (29 years)
    Lowell Nigoff