Home » Forums » Everything Else » The Commuter's Oil Change – Miles or Hours

Home Forums Everything Else The Commuter's Oil Change – Miles or Hours

• JeffreyD

November 27, 2017 at 8:46 am

We use miles or days and find so many customers ignore the days. To figure how many hours they idle and try to explain that to the customer sounds like a hard sell. I would say the best way is to use oil testing to see if a customer needs to do more frequent oil changes. Again through my experience that is a hard sell. They run into a fast lube get an oil change with a donut and coffee and can’t be bothered with the idea that they are damaging their vehicle. Through extensive research we recommend synthetic oil with a synthetic filter and feel confident they are protected. We have taken oil samples for testing and we can see through longevity that synthetics are superior. Not all oils are equal. We have many customers with over 200,000 miles and the engines are running strong.

• Alan Ollie

November 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm

You have to love Blackwell labs. I have proven many customers wrong. I bought the simple hand pump that you put down the dipstick and pull a bottle full of oil and ship it. $35 bucks later and a few days you have a great report about your oil and the condition of the engine.

I use the test on most failed engines just so I can learn.

What have I learned. The biggest thing is not the miles or time on the oil but the lack of oil in the engine during the oil cycle . How do they know …. Bearing shavings so fine you can’t see it. So in short newer engines and better synthetic oils help. But you have to have oil in the engine always not just when the light comes on.

Go around a corner with 2.5 qt – 3 qt’s of oil and I bet you will see a engine failure in that cars future.