Auto Shop Management Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

  • Tech pay plans

    Posted by jimbob661 on May 10, 2014 at 6:40 am

    I know that there are a lot of disscussion about incentive based pay plans. I want to go away from flat rate, but I don’t want to pay salary because I’m afraid my techs productivity will drop. I’ve got two good techs I want to keep, so I want to pay them fairly. Can I get some examples of an incentive based plan explained simply that work for all parties?

    rdavis replied 8 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
Advertiser / Sponsor
  • Tom Ham

    Member
    May 11, 2014 at 7:26 am
    Here is a simple system that can be used as a foundation, then adjust to your liking:

    Let’s say salary would be $1,000 a week. Take half of that.

    Let’s say flat rate is $24 per hour. Take half of that.
    $500 salary plus $12 hour for every flat rate hour produced is pay for the week. 
  • Andrew Tobias

    Member
    May 12, 2014 at 2:11 pm

    If your tech produces 50 hours per week at $24 per his gross is $1,200.  Using this plan, the tech would have to bill 58 hours per week to stay even.

    Flat rate is like capitalism.  It’s not perfect but it’s the best we have.  
  • rdavis

    Member
    May 19, 2014 at 10:28 am

    How about a blended system?  I think I got the idea from Tom in another post.  How about same tech and what he normally makes is $1000 a week. In NC we are required to punch a time clock anyway for insurance.  Pay 40 hrs based on say 60% of his $1K.  Figure the bonus on his remaining 40% to get the desired result and keep them motivated.  You can play with the number infinitely. I made it match my budgeting and manage how many hours they are at work. Also when shop needs to be cleaned or inventory stocked they are still getting paid.

    I switched my guys from a salary type pay to this in Feb and my production initially came up 70%.  Has leveled off a little but I all of my techs are averaging billing 40-50% more hours than they billed last year.