Home » Forums » Shop Design & Efficiency » Tablet use in the shop

Home Forums Shop Design & Efficiency Tablet use in the shop

• Tablet use in the shop

Posted by Tom on March 6, 2014 at 5:47 am

Are you using tablets anywhere in your shop?

What are you using them for?
    Do you have any tips, suggestions, etc. on what to do or not do, what to buy or not buy?
    Thanks!
    Scott Waddle replied 10 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Scott Waddle

March 10, 2014 at 10:03 am

Everyone seems to think a tablet PC in the shop will be useful, myself, I doubt it.

We have four notebooks and one tablet style PC as well as three desktop PCs in the shop.

The desktops and keyboards are mounted on  thin shelves  on the wall with the monitor (about 24 inch) attached to the wall above. The techs can walk right up to them and gather the info they need and keep moving, we do have stools at each station but they don’t sit often.

The wall units get used all day long, the notebooks and tablets I usually find I have to login to the various resources in order to get info, this shows me the techs are not regularly using them to access iATN, Mitchell, Alldata or Identifix, they prefer the larger screens. The techs are all young guys, oldest is 33, its not a technology thing, I believe its about practicality, and usefulness.

The notebooks do get used for programming, IDS, MDS, TechStream,  WiTech and other OE resources.