Home » Forums » Customer Service » Survey – Testing, Inspection, Diagnosis Billing Methods

Home Forums Customer Service Survey – Testing, Inspection, Diagnosis Billing Methods

• Survey – Testing, Inspection, Diagnosis Billing Methods

Posted by Site Administrator on March 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm

In most cases for testing/diagnosis/inspection where more than a quick inspection is required, do you:

_____ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

_____ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and include them both in a single labor line

_____ Charge for both repair and testing, reduce the charge for testing, and show each charge on separate labor lines

_____ Charge for both repair and testing, reduce the charge for testing, and include them both in a single labor line

_____ Charge for repair, and zero out the charge for testing

Feel free to make additional comments, but please avoid mentioning specific prices and labor rates.

rhopp replied 13 years, 1 month ago 12 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • tony-gobble

March 12, 2011 at 3:29 am

__X___ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

• d-stroebel

March 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

__X___ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

• David

March 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

n most cases for testing/diagnosis/inspection where more than a quick inspection is required, do you:

_x____ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

Diagnosis charges remain on 90% of RO’s, sometimes reduced or rolled in depending upon type of work needed.

• randi

March 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm

___x__ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

• Dennis

March 14, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Same answer for our shop

• phoskins

March 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Administrator wrote:

> In most cases for testing/diagnosis/inspection where more than a quick inspection is required, do you:

>

> __x__ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

>

> _____ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and include them both in a single labor line

>

> _____ Charge for both repair and testing, reduce the charge for testing, and show each charge on separate labor lines

>

> _____ Charge for both repair and testing, reduce the charge for testing, and include them both in a single labor line

>

> _____ Charge for repair, and zero out the charge for testing

>

> Feel free to make additional comments, but please avoid mentioning specific prices and labor rates.

• gcauto

March 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

___X__ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

• Patrick McElroy

March 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm

___x__ Charge for both repair and testing, retain the original testing charge, and show each charge on separate labor lines

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    March 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

OK. I see where this is going; I have been known to roll testing labor into the repair. Mind you, the total is usually about the same (I don’t cut the price to make the sale, I’m more likely to pad the repair!). But I understand where that “cheapens” the value of the testing that I am now “giving away”, at least on paper. I think I got an inkling of this concept at a George Witt Class – now it is clearer and I promise to try and STOP IT. But I will still run out in the Parking Lot and pull a Code for FREE!

• rhopp

March 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Hi Steve,

I think I was in the same GR class…

We have a “No Wrench” labor op used for quick free looks. Beyond that we

use mostly a “Level 3” testing (Implying its higher than the non-existent

level 1 & 2)

For the most part they are separate, though can be combined if we think

perception problem is likely.

• Tom Piippo

March 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm

If I kick the fuel tank to get the pump to run… line item test fuel pump…. $0.00

If I current ramp the pump, test pressure & volume for my 75 year old “A” customer, I add the test to the pump labor (he doesn’t understand about scopes, etc…)

If I do the same for the 35 year old CPA… It’s itemized seperately, PLUS he gets the printout from the PICO (CPA’s love paper)

So YES all the above (only because I know my customers)

• rhopp

March 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm

GREAT Reply Tom!