Administrator wrote:

> Would you say that finding new employees today is:

>

> _____ Easier than in the past

>

> _____ About the same as in the past

>

> ___X__ Harder than in the past

My opinion is with unemployment benefits and a trickle of side jobs why go get a real job? It’s been tough getting experienced techs in this last month. I had a lot more applicants in ’07 and ’08 then I did in ’10 and currently. I’ve gotten a lot of people looking for a job….any job, but none with automotive experience.

• rsauto

April 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Harder than in the past!

We have been posting for techs needed on craigslist, Employment Security Commission and by word-of-mouth. It has gotten us one employee that was knowledgable, but wouldn’t show up and suddenly quit with no call. A mechanic that is dependable, nice guy, but is slow has a lot of comebacks.

I have said this in another post, but I will say it again. People do not want jobs. They may say they do, but they want a job on their terms. Starting pay is laughed at and refused. Their answer “I can make more sitting at home”. It is nice that they think so highly of themselves, but as a small business we cannot take a chance on their opinion of themselves. People do not want the pleasure of starting at the bottom and making it to the top. They are educated fools with no job and those of us that do not have such high opinions of ourselves are paying for them to live. They say “thank you” by the way. LOL!

• rhopp

April 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Harder

• Tom Piippo

April 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm

A>> Finding employees is easy!

B>> Finding one you want to keep is moderately diffecult

C>> Finding a keeper who wants to stay… well, thats tougher yet.

I have always emphisized training, in fact my new hires have to agree to one evening a month for technical training. I pay all expences, they give their time. The last tech who left (after training for 2 years) left the profession altogether. He said he saw “The writing on the wall” on future technologies and wanted nothing to do with it. He had been a tech for 28 years (along with a 5 year hitch as a Snap-On dealer)

You can train them and watch them leave, or, keep them stupid and they will stay forever!

I’ll still take my chances on training.

• catc

April 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Much harder to find employees who want to work. Unemployment has helped many people with legitimate needs, but it is still badly broken. It seems there are fewer and fewer workers with the strong work ethic and sense of responsibility held by my parents’ and my generations. Why work for a legitimate business when you can quit your job, receive unemployment and still get paid under the table with untaxed money for doing mechanical work on your own without a business license?