Home » Forums » Everything Else » Should I rent unused bays out to DIYs

Home Forums Everything Else Should I rent unused bays out to DIYs

• Should I rent unused bays out to DIYs

Posted by Vincenzo on February 6, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Was thinking about renting out some unused bays to DIYers.  Anyone know what I should do as far as not being liable against any insurance claims.  How would I go about to set something like this up.  I would like to generate some income from there to put towards my lease.  I don’t use those bays enough.  My buisness is not busy enough to utilize them.  So much competition in my town, but I’ve seen an increase to so many DIYs in my town due to Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone down street from my shop.  Any suggestions?

Tom replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Raymond Wittneben IV

February 6, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Don’t do it.

Instead, market your shop correctly to fill those bays.

Educate the DIY’s why they should have a professional do the work for them, not all but some will have it done by a professional.

The ones that want to stay DIY’s, let them go, they are not worth the time, effort & lost revenue they cause.

• James Kidd

February 7, 2020 at 3:05 pm

What happens when the “DIY” disables their vehicle in your bay and has no means, skills, tools, to put it back together, leaving your bay unavailable for revenue ? What if they have an environmental spill in your shop ? Oil, coolant, gasoline, etc..  I could make up many more scenarios that would not be good for you. Two DIY shops have come and gone in my town the past year and a half. Both of them lasted six months.

• Tom

February 9, 2020 at 10:11 am

No. Definitely scrap that idea.

Instead, increase sales like Ray said. Or, add a service – detailing, bed liners, or one of dozens of other car related services. Anything to generate some income while getting new customers to become aware of what you already do. 🙂