Home » Forums » Equipment And Tools » Reflashing Survey

Home Forums Equipment And Tools Reflashing Survey

• Jeff Graser

September 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

We can do most makes at our 12 shops. GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, and maybe a few others at some of the shops.

• stevebfl

September 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

We can reflash a few car lines.  The ones we work on.  Programming is required to diagnose and fix modern autos. 

• larrybloodworth

September 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm

We can reflash most makes and models.  A few seem more challenging like some of the Euros like BMW, Mini, some Mercedes, and Volvo.

Volvos require a minimum of Windows 7 with lots of RAM and hard disc space.

Some Mercedes we can reflash and the ones we can’t, we blow the $125 and have them do it for us.

BMW’s are a pain and take hours.  Unlike say, a GM, where you can select which modules you want to reflash, BMW reflashes EVERY module whether you like it or not and that can literally take all day.  First few times, after 2 or 3 hours, I thought it wasn’t working and took it to the BMW dealer and had them reflash it for me.  It was then that I learned I was just being impatient.  If I would have left it alone all day or all night, it would eventually reflash everything as well as making sure the CAN-BUS was working.

Then we get a BMW mini.  Waited all day and  part of the next.  It, too went to the dealer.  In addition to plugging into the OBD2 connector, you have to have a jumper wire between pins 6 and 8 (if I remember right)  I have never seen an OB2 connector need a jump wire to work.  You do on Minis.  🙁

J. Larry Bloodworth

• tatterbugg

September 15, 2013 at 7:30 am

We do the no runs and the ford diesels. If it runs we have a good relationship with most dealerships and there happy to help. Sometimes its better to outsource such work than take the chance off it not taking. I will say this. If you do reflash you need a dedicated internet connection with no other chatter online while doing one. Had a ford lock up and had to send to dealer on tow truck. Only thing I could figure was other techs and service managers using same connection for all data ect… we just charge the customer what the dealer charges + time to take and wait or drop off and pick up. Its kind of like what can I make more money installing an engine or doing 20 brake jobs. = Brake jobs. But you better get ready because its coming and already here were your can’t even install a window motor without reprogramming modules.

• jeepflexin

September 17, 2013 at 11:09 am

We flash at OEM level the makes we work on, this is a fundamental principal to being service ready.

• ttrain0331

September 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

We reprogram GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota lines, Hyundai, KIA, Honda/Acura, Audi/VW, Mitsubishi, Nissan/Infiniti and any related coding that needs to be done after a repair. As of yet no Euros , except Audi/ VW., but they are getting harder after 08 model lines. Even though we diagnoses and repair a lot of BMW’s and Mercedes, we send those out right now.

Studies have shown that 7 out of 10 vehicles need some sort of calibration updates. We as service professionals must be able to correctly know and when to sell these needed services. The future is here and we must all get on that bus. Thanks.