Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » Recent Consumer Reports Articles

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops Recent Consumer Reports Articles

Tagged: 

• Rod Zimmerman

January 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm

In reading those it seems that CR really likes to try and get their readers to haggle the price down. Do they recommend doing that in other professions as well? How about a restaurant? “I see that you want $25 for that steak, Tell you what I’ll give you $18”. Seems silly when you read it doesn’t it? Part of the problem is that we of course are shooting ourselves in the foot when we give in to that treatment. I think the article said over 60% of the time at an independent a consumer could get a discount if they haggled for it, and it was a substantial discount as well!

• J. Larry Bloodworth

January 31, 2019 at 6:54 am

Consumer Reports promotes haggling on just about everything.  That’s what they do.  Here’s an example on a recent rating on Telcom (internet/phone/TV) providers.

>”But It Is Possible to Bargain
    One bright note is that our survey respondents were often successful when negotiating with their telecom bundle providers. While there are signs that many providers are cracking down on serial negotiators, our advice is that when your telecom company gets tough, bargain harder. Even if you can’t get a lower price, you may be able to negotiate for additional services, such as adding a premium channel free of charge or getting faster broadband.”<<

We’re not the only industry CR suggests to haggle.  It’s in their DNA.

• J. Larry Bloodworth

January 31, 2019 at 7:05 am

I did a search on the CR website on the term “haggling” and hit a treasure trove of articles like, “The Many Benefits of Online Haggling When Buying Electronics”  The article said:

>”In a Consumer Reports survey on electronics retailers, 69 percent of the online shoppers who tried to negotiate a better deal on a TV, computer, or other electronic product received a price reduction. By contrast, only 59 percent of the in-store shoppers were successful. Online hagglers also received a larger discount on average ($94) than their in-store counterparts ($84).”<<

Other article titles,

• How to Save on Appliances, Sale or No Sale
    • Does Car Buying Make Your Head Spin?
    • Get the Most TV for Your Money
    • How to Score a Mattress Deal Online
      Six simple steps to search, strategize, and schmooze your way to the lowest possible price
    • 7 Ways to Score Brilliant Bargains at Garage Sales

Yes, the articles are seemingly endless when it comes to haggling.  It’s not just our industry.