Home » Forums » Employees » process of teck hire

Home Forums Employees process of teck hire

• process of teck hire

Posted by alvito on March 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Hi ,

How do your’ll test technicians before hiring them, do your’ll give written multiple answer questioner , or a job on vehicles

Thanks

Michael Gagnon replied 12 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • redsauto

March 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm

First I have them fill out an application , even if they bring me a resume . You can tell alot about a person just from that . Next I’ll have them set up an old brake rotor on the lathe . Then mount and balance an old tire . If they pass those tests , and you would be amazed at how many “ASE CERTIFIED TECHS” cant pass those , I’ll have them rack up a car and do a complete inspection on it . Watch how he takes the wheels on and off , fills out the inspection sheet , etc , etc . you’ll know pretty quick if the guy is full of S##T . I had pretty good luck posting a job on career builder.com . Had over 75 replys . Of those only about 7 were worth calling . 3 couldnt even get past the brake rotor . You can elimnate the BULLS####ERS pretty fast .

• Tom

March 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm

There is a mathematics test in the Management Checklists (Premium area) Forum on this website.

Have them take it before scheduling an interview.

It really is not that difficult, but it will eliminate most applicants right from the start.

• Michael Gagnon

May 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm

If your really hiring a Technician and not a Mechanic, and there is a difference as we all know, I give them a scenario and ask them how they would approach it. Such as, ” a vehicles battery runs down every two or three days and the vehicle won’t crank, the battery has less than a volt left in it” how would you approach that issue.

Any tech would be able to answer that, it is basic auto repair 101. If they choke up or start throwing a bag of tricks at it,(uh check the glove box light)if they don’t mention amps draw, an ammeter (or at least a test light), load testing the battery,narrowing down the circuit at fault by removing fuses, ect. Then you might have yourself a mechanic, and probably not a great one.

I had a ASE certified master tech apply that could not tell me the name of any scanner, he actually said ” we have one, I think it’s an OTC or something like it”

I don’t know whats worse, hiring or firing. i have been looking for a tech for 6 weeks, the paper, craigslist, IATN, my reader board, a $500.00 bounty with all the tool and parts suppliers and other techs I know. I am coming up dry.And summers on the way.