Home » Forums » Parts and Tire related topics » Parts shortages and backorder questions and what we are doing

Home Forums Parts and Tire related topics Parts shortages and backorder questions and what we are doing

• Parts shortages and backorder questions and what we are doing

Posted by Tom on October 3, 2021 at 9:07 am

Which parts are you finding harder to get? For us, it’s oil, oil filters, and brakes.

What are you doing differently for parts acquisition? We are considering doubling all stock orders.

Have you changed your policy on how long you will honor estimates? We are stating that estimates will be honored for 24 hours.

William Pankiw replied 2 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Ossie Elkins

October 7, 2021 at 7:24 pm

We have reviewed our purchases over the past 18 months and have increased our stock to reflect those sales

• Rob

October 25, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Brake pads and rotors are in short supply at our top 3 vendors (NAPA, ACI, Autovalue).  It seems we have to buy rotors at one place and pads at another in a lot of cases.  Parts delivery times are slacking as well. I’m also noticing when trying to purchase common failed electrical parts from dealers that those parts our now on backorder with no ETA.

We just ran into an issue where we quoted Worldpac pads and Rotors for an Audi a week prior to the appointment. When the Client came in those parts were no longer available. The only option was Audi dealer for parts which raised our quote $300. Not a good situation to be in. I think your idea of honoring estimates 24hrs is a good one. Look forward to seeing other replies on this.

• Jayson

October 28, 2021 at 4:28 pm

Surprisingly we have not yet run into a lot of these issues. I did hear from Amsoil that they do not have any shortages of Filters. Our parts ordering procedure is a little lengthy but, it seems to be paying off during this time. We will see how it works out when the supply becomes much harder to find during the winter months and beyond. We have started to stock up on batteries and common tire sizes especially for our fleet customers. I will be attending SEMA/AAPEX next week I will be asking a lot of questions if I get any future insight I will share the information.

• Jim Masella

October 28, 2021 at 4:47 pm

Mostly just tires for us.  We have not been able to get the brand we like sometimes but other then that and some dealer parts we have not had a problem.  One of my suppliers has told me he stocks a lot more now because he has trouble getting parts but I have not seen it at my shop.  I will honor an estimate up to 6 months if I can.  I don’t like changing the price on people and will eat a little but not a large difference.

• William Pankiw

October 29, 2021 at 10:52 am

Brake parts are a real challenge, tires are impossible as well.  We have been telling all customers and fleet management companies 24 hours on price quotes since early July when we got our first major price increase on brake parts.  We currently are in need of a 6.8 liter V-10 engine for a 2014 F-450 and were told 3 – 4 months for delivery through Ford.  AER, the company that rebuilds engines for Ford is said to have a $3,000,000 back order on parts.  Jasper had 1 in the country and when we went to get it is was $1600.00 more our cost.   Then next day it was gone.  At that point Jasper told us 6 -8 weeks Projected ? delivery.  I was able to get an engine coming from our Ford dealer in 7 – 10 days through an emergency order that was placed in early September for someone else.  It is suppose to be here 11/5/2021.  We’ll see.

With new vehicles / Cabs and chassis for commercial vehicles being in short supply, we are seeing companies repairing vehicle they would normally replace so this problem is only going to get worse in my opinion.  Bill