Home » Forums » Everything Else » OSHA Shake-Up To Force Shop Training

Home Forums Everything Else OSHA Shake-Up To Force Shop Training

• Tom

July 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm

This is the type of thing that is perfect to have an industry trade association handle. 

Anyone reading this…please forward the link for this message/post to your trade association official and see if they can assist.
    I will do so with our local association.
  • rfisher-asamichigan-com

July 13, 2013 at 10:14 am

As Tom said, check with your State Trade Association – The “Globally Harmonized System” is basically updating the “Right to Know” laws to comply with a gloabl understanding. The first thing you will see is that your Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), as they were called up until this point, are being renamed “Safety Data Sheets” (SDS) and required to be posted for compliance. There are two SDS posters like this. Though I am unaware of any FREE compilation specific to the automotive repair industry, the repair facility should be able to create their own. The first requirement of this law is fast approaching – employee training by December 1, 2013. The remainder of the law has deadlines for compliance between now and June 2016 I believe. We organized a training webinar back in late February and broadcasted it in late April with our State OSHA (MiOSHA). The very PowerPoint that was performed and very helpful is on the page of this link, about a third of the way down in the middle of the page titled “Hazard Communication Employee Training” and allows you to download the PowerPoint. My recommendation would be to see if your State has something similar – here is that link http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-61256_11407-284831–,00.html  MIOSHA also has forms available as samples – the obligation of the employer is to train their personnel…you should get with your vendors ASAP to figure out getting, compiling and organizing your new Safety Data Sheet Book before the deadlines. ASA Michigan members have had full access to a library of forms, deadlines, pictograms, etc including the Webinar since mid-May 2013…if you are an ASA Michigan member and need further assistance please email me at rfisher@asamichigan.com