Home » Forums » Everything Else » OE maintenance

Home Forums Everything Else OE maintenance

• OE maintenance

Posted by tony-gobble on February 28, 2011 at 12:56 am

Do you follow the manufacture recommended maintenance schedules or do you perform services more often than the manufacturer recommends?

jonludwig replied 13 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tom

March 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Tony Gobble wrote:

> Do you follow the manufacture recommended maintenance schedules or do you perform services more often than the manufacturer recommends?

We use the OE schedules now more than ever.

An exception may occur when there is a definite issue that we can identify with a specific item.

Or, when services (certain fluids come to mind) obviously should be done at some point, but have been eliminated entirely from the OE schedule. Then we will select an interval that is commonly used by other carmakers.

• tony-gobble

March 4, 2011 at 2:48 am

Thanks Tom. Recently I was listening to someone talk about how the manufacturer wants less service to lower the cost of ownership and that this was bad for the consumer. He was saying we should make recommendations more often that the manufacturer to protect our customers investment in thier automobile. I have been pushing manufacturer sugested services and got to wondering who was right. Sometimes you see dealers with supplemental service schedules and most technicians recommend oil changes more often than the manufacturer so who is right?

• jonludwig

March 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Tony,I was at just at a CAm2 oil seminar last nite. I asked many times what their recommendationm was oil change.

They assured me 5000 miles @ 3 months would be fine for their standard semi synthetic ILSAC GF5 oil. They did suggest that the full syntheic super max oils were good for 15,000 miles.

They now provide free oil analysis so we can get our own feel for this? The standards are confusing even for us! On other fluids, I use color and smell more than the scheduled interval.