Home » Forums » Everything Else » Need some help from experienced dealers.

Home Forums Everything Else Need some help from experienced dealers.

• Need some help from experienced dealers.

Posted by Alise Wilson on January 31, 2019 at 4:13 am

Hello guys!
    I need some advice. A customer from Atlanta has found my Orlando-based dealership on the Internet. It seems that car prices are higher in Georgia, so he wants to buy a 2013 Mercedes here and have it transported there. Though I am not a fan of the remote sales, I said yes.
    However, I haven’t done this before, all of my customers are locals. But I bought this really nice coupe from Kansas, so non-locals want it too.

We have pre-scheduled an online test drive for next Friday but I’m not sure yet which software to use. Is a videocall enough or I need some additional tool or app for this? I asked the same question on another dealer forum and one guy recommended me this app LVS. He said it tailored specifically for dealers and for online test drives.
    I’m not sure though. Decided to ask here. Do you do online test drives and if so, what software do you use?

Thanks in advance.

J. Larry Bloodworth replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Steven Anderson

February 6, 2019 at 2:33 am

Never had such experience. But it looks interesting. Will try once I have a client from another state.

• J. Larry Bloodworth

February 6, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Watch out!

There’s a scam going on in the transmission industry where somebody calls a shop from out-of-town and wants a transmission rebuild.  -BUT- to get the vehicle to the shop, it has to be towed a significant distance.

The caller wants to pay for the entire transaction with a credit card, but needs $XXX back so that he can pay the tow truck driver who doesn’t accept CCs.  The unsuspecting shop takes the CC# over the phone and the sale goes through for say, $3,500.  It clears and then the shop owner is instructed to send $XXX to the caller via Western Union so he can pay the tow truck driver to get the vehicle on its’ way to the hungry shop.

The vehicle never arrives and the shop never hears from the caller again.  A week or two later, the shop is back-charged the full amount of the CC sale because the card has been reported as stolen.

I’d be very suspicious.

Another variation of this scam is when the caller is allegedly hearing-impaired and the call is through a TTD operator.   Here was the way I fought back.

First, I hit the card for the full $3,500 and never sent the caller any money through Western Union. (I say American Express by mistake in the video)  Then I called the FBI which referred me to the Secret Service.  Then, I made the following video.

How The TTD Operator Scam Worked (almost)  4:27

I ended up sitting on top of $3,500 for a couple of weeks before I was back-charged.  You can’t BS a BS’er, right? 🙂  Boo-Rah!