Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » Marketing to senior citizens

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops Marketing to senior citizens

• Marketing to senior citizens

Posted by gcauto on January 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I would like to creat a post card marketing campaign offering a discount to senior citizen drivers. Any suggestions on wording? I’m at a lose this afternoon with words! thanks!

Jon replied 13 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tom

January 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Cheryl Lindbeck wrote:

> I would like to creat a post card marketing campaign offering a discount to senior citizen drivers. Any suggestions on wording? I’m at a lose this afternoon with words! thanks!

Cheryl:

What kind of senior citizens? “Young” seniors…age 50-65…are often a good group to target. Higher disposable income and very active. Not so much for the older ones in general.

You might attract the best of them with conveniences and extra special service as opposed to discounts.

• Jon

February 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm

> You might attract the best of them with conveniences and extra special service as opposed to discounts.

Discounts can work on anybody, I don’t care how much disposable income they have.

• gcauto

February 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Tom,

I’m trying to target the 65+ seniors in our area. What type of special services would you offer? I was thinking because many of our current seniors mention being on a “fixed income” (haha aren’t we all?) that a discount would be beneficial to them. We recently added a coffee maker to our waiting area and our customers have the option of waiting while their vehicle is being serviced. We also offer free Wi-Fi for those that want to stay connected while waiting.

• gcauto

February 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Jon,

I tend to agree with you regarding the discounts. We seem to drive more business in with a small discount even with our long-time current customers. Thanks!

• chopshopcustoms

February 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’d offer free pick up of the person to come get their vehicle and free rides back to where they live if I had a collision shop.

Try not to use a lot of mareketing terms too- just basic honest info-you can do it better and for less and still high quality.

• Tom

February 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Cheryl Lindbeck wrote:

> Tom,

> I’m trying to target the 65+ seniors in our area. What type of special services would you offer? I was thinking because many of our current seniors mention being on a “fixed income” (haha aren’t we all?) that a discount would be beneficial to them. We recently added a coffee maker to our waiting area and our customers have the option of waiting while their vehicle is being serviced. We also offer free Wi-Fi for those that want to stay connected while waiting.

Cheryl:

More of what you mention. If I am a senior in any kind of waiting area, I want the following to be excellent (not just “average”): Heating, lighting, cleanliness, furniture comfort, coffee, restroom, TV, friendly staff. The older I get, the more I appreciate these things. The higher income senior is used to this. If you have the best of these in your area, I will be back.

• cornerstone

February 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

My shop is in San Diego county we have lots of senior communities.their two biggest fears are getting ripped off and getting stranded.The best way to over come this is with testimonials.When I advertise to the seniors I buy an ad in their community news letters,or I send out a ti-fold with something on the out side to get the attention and a sales letter with testimonials on the inside. I always offer senior discount 10% off labor. the best thing about seniors once they trust you, they refer their fiends at higher rate than any other demographic.

• Jon

February 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Tom Ham wrote:

“The higher income senior is used to this. If you have the best of these in your area, I will be back.

Here, here. I can’t agree more.