Home » Forums » Everything Else » Low Balling

Home Forums Everything Else Low Balling

• Low Balling

Posted by jeremyryan on March 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Do you do any low balling to the customer that shops price on the phone? Has this been succesful for you? Getting tired of the eprson who is shopping price on trans rebuilds, when i know im not going to be the cheapest.

davidpass replied 13 years ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Tom

March 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Jeremy Ryans wrote:

> Do you do any low balling to the customer that shops price on the phone? Has this been succesful for you? Getting tired of the eprson who is shopping price on trans rebuilds, when i know im not going to be the cheapest.

“Sir, are you sure the transmission needs rebuilding? Transmissions are frequently misdiagnosed. It’s getting more common to see transmission symptoms which need some type of electrical or other repair that does not require transmission removal. Why don’t you come in and have us test it…maybe we can save you some money.”

• douglas hillmann

March 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

never,nerver,never quote prices over the phone. You may be able to give him a price, but you will never be able to tell him what it will cost untill you see the car. The whole game is getting the car in the shop. If he then shops your price and goes elsewhere, he was not worth your time in the first place. Concentrate on the good customers you already have.

I have fired service writers for giving quotes without seeing the car.

• davidpass

March 22, 2011 at 1:12 am

I agree completely. There are people who are always going to quote price. Offer free diagnostic, towing with repairs etc , explain warranty and do it graciously. And sometimes it is price, but quality is always the “King” Thanks

David

• David

March 28, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I realize I am in the minority here and I also run a specialty 2 brand shop, so my business model is a bit different, but I readily quote prices over the phone on routine services and have had great success with establishing a relationship with a potential customer by answering some of their price questions. I have gotten many jobs that the customer even told us “You’re not the cheapest, but you’re the only ones who would even talk to me about price” Think about what the customer wants: Information to make a decision. With the level of expertise most shops have out there, making an estimate (which is just that) vs not being willing to say anything may make the difference between getting the job or not. Transmissions…different ballgame, but even to quote a range and educate the customer about what decisions they will have to make is a smart move.

• davidpass

March 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Yes indeed, quoting things like packaged menu items, tires, etc are common. However if you get a call about say brakes that are metal on metal if a different case. thanks

David