Home » Forums » Everything Else » Looking for a 20 Group, Peer Group for Rookies

Home Forums Everything Else Looking for a 20 Group, Peer Group for Rookies

• Looking for a 20 Group, Peer Group for Rookies

Posted by Tom on August 20, 2022 at 10:18 am

He might be opening his first shop. Or, he inherited a shop but has never worked in one. Or, he’s been around a while but knows next to nothing about shop management. You get the idea. What peer group do you refer him to? Thanks for your input!

Jamie Crutcher replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • david Graber

August 20, 2022 at 2:31 pm

There are many good groups out there. The first things I would do is request to join the Facebook group “Shop Hackers”. Lots of good content on that site. I am a member of ShopFix. There is no contact, and its a monthly cost. Great coaches, and lots and lots of training video’s. They offer a lower group at lower cost. I would try that first to get your feet wet, and take it from there. I have tried other top 20 groups over the years, but ShopFix was the group for me. Aaron Stokes who started the group is very smart person. I had meet him when we were in another top 20 group years ago. Also, this site here, automotive management network, is great for Info and charts. When I first went into business, I found shops who weren’t in my area, that had been in business for years with great Google reviews, and reached out to them for advice. But the one thing I would highly recommend is learning how to run your business by the numbers. Numbers like Gross Profit on parts and labor, your true Effective Labor Rate, cost of overhead per bay, profit per hour billed out, and others. Hope this helps. If you have and other questions, feel free to reach out to me. I am always willing to help a new shop owner. ( dave@davesautoservices.com )

• Jamie Crutcher

August 23, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Also in shop fix and highly recommend.