Home » Forums » Expense Control & Financial » How to Find the Right Bookkeeper For You

Home Forums Expense Control & Financial How to Find the Right Bookkeeper For You

• How to Find the Right Bookkeeper For You

Posted by Natalie Paris on May 26, 2022 at 10:48 am

When
    it comes to finding the right person to help your business maintain your
    finances and bookkeeping, trust and comfort are top priorities. Of
    course that also means asking a lot of questions, and this post addresses
    some of the most important criteria to consider when looking for a bookkeeper.

Look For Value

While price is a consideration, focus more on the value you would be getting for your money. If you are only concerned about how much it will cost, you may end up missing out on the best value for your money. You need to find a bookkeeper who offers a good rate for good services.

But don’t just consider the number or breadth of services included in the cost, consider how using the services will help you achieve your goals. Sometimes the services a company offers can help you accomplish more and be more efficient in your work. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that the value you receive is actually valuable to your bottom line.

Look For Accuracy

Accuracy matters. Even if someone is good at balancing a checkbook, they might not be good at handling the reconciliation processes. And worse yet, not all bookkeepers are capable of helping your business stay in good standing with federal and local legal requirements.

You need to find someone who is attentive to even the smallest details and is willing to put in the extra effort to ensure that everything is correct. Look for someone who is knowledgeable about the legal requirements placed on your business for both financial reporting and tax planning. Having someone on your team to manage those aspects will set you miles ahead of where you could be by yourself.

Look for Growth

Your books are a treasure trove of information. And in the right hands, your books can be used to plan for consistent and significant growth. An average bookkeeper can keep track of all your financials and make sure everything’s up to date. An excellent bookkeeper can help you use the accurate information in your books to identify areas for improvement and growth.

Running a business today is harder than ever. And trying to keep up with inflation and cost increases is getting more and more challenging. Having a bookkeeper who is looking to save you money where possible, and grow your money in other areas is an invaluable asset.

mannas replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • J. Larry Bloodworth

May 27, 2022 at 3:39 pm

I agree that finding the right person is important. Here’s a tale of finding the wrong CPA…

Taxes, taxes, and more taxes, right? I have to vent. I’ll make a very long story short. We had a once-in-lifetime event of selling our shop real estate last year. My wife is an accountant with about 60 clients. She did our taxes but because it was such a large sum in taxes, ($400K) she decided she would have our CPA look it over, just to make sure. He edited both returns.

We file both federal and state income tax returns. Never heard a peep from either agency. She goes out to check the mail and there are 2 checks in the mailbox; one from the IRS, and one from the state of Utah. Both these checks were collectively over $9K for overpayment of taxes. WTF???

I can’t complain about my wife because I’m married to her and I don’t feel like doing couch duty. However, the person I’m really unhappy with is our CPA. How can he make such a gross error? Needless to say, we won’t be using him anymore. The good news is we won’t have to worry about being audited because the IRS and the state edited our returns.

• mannas

December 15, 2022 at 1:40 am

Finding the right bookkeeper for your business can be a challenging task, but it is an important one. Here are some steps you can follow to help you find the right bookkeeper for your business:

1. Determine your needs: Before you start looking for a bookkeeper, take some time to think about what your business needs in terms of [url=https://hrss.cpa/tax-accounting/#accounting]bookkeeping services[/url]. This will help you narrow down your search and find a bookkeeper who can meet your specific needs.

2. Research potential candidates: Once you know what you’re looking for in a bookkeeper, you can start researching potential candidates. You can ask for recommendations from other business owners, search online, or look for bookkeepers who are certified by a professional organization, such as the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers.

3. Check references: Before you hire a bookkeeper, be sure to check their references. Ask for references from other businesses they have worked with, and be sure to follow up with those references to get a sense of the bookkeeper’s work ethic and the quality of their work.

4. Meet with the bookkeeper: Once you have narrowed down your search to a few potential candidates, schedule meetings with each of them to get a sense of their personality and how well they would fit with your business. This will also give you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have and discuss the specific services they offer.

5. Make a decision: After meeting with the potential bookkeepers and checking their references, you should be able to make an informed decision about which bookkeeper is the right fit for your business. Choose the bookkeeper who has the experience, skills, and personality that you are looking for.

Overall, the key to finding the right bookkeeper for your business is to take the time to research potential candidates and carefully consider your needs. By following these steps, you can find a bookkeeper who will be a valuable asset to your business.