Home » Forums » Marketing For Auto Repair Shops » How do you get reviews?

Home Forums Marketing For Auto Repair Shops How do you get reviews?

Tagged: 

• Tom

April 11, 2017 at 11:46 am

If you make a solid effort to politely ask customers for reviews, you will get all you ever need. Now, some people just aren’t comfortable doing that. In that case you hire one of the auto repair specific marketing companies (see directory on home page on this site) and they will do it for you.

• mtnmods

April 19, 2017 at 12:26 pm

No to rehash what Tom said, but maybe a bit more info.  I use a CRM company (I have used them all and personally prefer Kukui) to integrate our numbers, appointments, web presence and reviews. They send automatic appointment reminders, text and email followups per my preset criteria, i.e. new customers and not zero dollar RO’s. I know I could send my own followups but I find it well worth the money to hire someone else to handle and track that. Frees me up to run a business.  I thank our customer’s as always when we close out the RO and let them know they will be receiving an email requesting a review of our service. That’s it. If I forget or get too busy to remind them, they’re still getting an email to followup and thank them with a review request attached. We are diligent about getting emails for ALL customers and responding to reviews good and bad.  Some poeple don’t want to give you an email but I present an intake form at first visit and for an anual update, ask them again when writing up the RO if its not written, then explain that we don’t spam them or sell they’re info but it does allow us to get them quotes and a special a couple times a year. Finally, if no email, at close I ask again and explain my software will continue to hound me (I have it set up that way) if I don’t have something put in.  Most people will provide it after the third request. It has let to over 500 Google certified 5-star reviews for my business in just over 6 years.  Good luck

• Richard Ehler

April 26, 2017 at 9:25 am

We use DemandForce to send an email day after service. Does not go to google, YELP, etc. Disappointing.  Just learned about a company called PODIUM at our latest Tire Pros meeting. Will be doing a demo with them soon.

• larrybloodworth

April 26, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I give them a P&P (Postcard & Page) card.  Here’s the article that turned me on to the concept about 3 years ago.  It says it a lot better than I can.

A Review Handout Alternative: Try P&P To Get More Local Reviews

• Randy Lucyk

April 26, 2017 at 2:28 pm

We use a business size card that drives the customer to our review site on google using a custom domain pointed at our google review site and opens the review box as described above. We also use textbox to “text” customer review requests using the shortened  url feature from google, which accomplishes the same. See the google instructions at this url:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/7035772?hl=en

Pay attention to the “Tip” to see the shortened url instructions

• catonauto

May 4, 2017 at 8:13 am

Hi all,

We use a solution called Frederick that links into your management system. It has boosted my reviews big time across facebook, google, and yelp while protecting my reputation. It also introduces intelligent marketing to help bring your customers back- I am also paying less for it than I did Demandforce and in my opinion it is a better product. Here is a link to check it out:

https://www.hirefrederick.com?afmc=Caton

• brianrinko

June 21, 2017 at 8:45 am

Hello.  At Bolt on Technology we have a product coming out in the next few weeks that will generate review requests for you.

Basically the program will bring up a list of the previous days posted invoices and give you the ability to send out a review link via direct text to those customers.

This works for both google and facebook.

• larrybloodworth

June 23, 2017 at 12:10 pm

We use “P&P” cards.  Here’s where I learned about it:

http://searchengineland.com/forget-review-handout-use-pp-get-reviews-196525

• dougfentiman

August 2, 2017 at 5:13 pm

This may sound controversial, or a bit crazy, but you will get more reviews if you don’t ask for them…

I’ve done a ton of research and testing of review request/management tools over the last five years and found directly asking for reviews was a BIG turn-off for customers. Yes, you may get a few reviews when you ask, but deep down your customers will dislike you for asking.

The most common customer comment when asked in our private surveys was that review requests made the business look desperate. To paraphrase more than a few customers, If they are so good why do they have to ask for reviews?

When we changed our TrustBuilder system to asking for customer “feedback”, rather than “reviews”, the comment submission rate increased from less than 1% to an average of 30% (close to 98% with SMS text message feedback requests). Some of my TrustBuilder clients who place very high importance on customer service and satisfaction get +70% submission rate of feedback requests.

Why the huge increase? Asking for a “review” is seen as only benefiting the business, not the customer. Asking for “feedback” is seen as benefiting the customer. The big question in customer’s mind is “what’s in this for me?”…

Deep down people are selfish. That’s just the way humans are and something you or I can’t change. Most people won’t do something unless they see a benefit for them (OK maybe your mother will do it without feeling obligated…). But if your “review” request is presented in a different way your customers will see it as a benefit.

Asking for “feedback” as part of your quality assurance guarantee changes the focus to a customer benefit. And we found far more customers willingly provide their comments (reviews) about your business when presented to them in this way.

In our experience customers of the average shop will provide positive feedback 99.9% percent of the time. And that positive feedback can be used as great customer testimonials that can be used to boost your website search ranking, customer trust, and increase advertising response.

Often businesses think they are doing what customers want, but don’t really know if they are doing a good job. They shouldn’t wait until they get an angry, negative review to find problems. It’s too late then!

Businesses need to ask the customer how they truly feel about the service they are getting. And ask in a way that the customer doesn’t feel pressured. Our system allows you to find unhappy customers BEFORE they express their anger publicly. This allows you to catch problems, fix the customer’s issue, prevent an damaging negative review, and retain the customer (the real, costly loss).

To get honest, candid customer feedback you need an automated system that asks customers for their comments in a convenient, appropriate way. Feedback requests must not be seen as annoying, or just another marketing pitch!

Customers will open up to you if they feel if it is in their benefit, their comments will actually be heard, and acted on, and in a sincere and timely fashion. Your customers can be your best business advisors.

One of the most surprising benefits of regularly requesting customer feedback is finding the little things that irritate your customers. Those little things that annoy people, but not enough for them to say something to your face. Or for the business to know about. Finding and correcting these little annoyances can be the easiest way to longer customer retention, business growth, and greater profitability.

Feedback can also help you spot problem employees. If you are a remote business manager keeping “hands-on” control can be very difficult. Employees can hide problems for a long time until issues explode. If you encourage feedback from your customers they can act as your front line business monitors.

Once customers see the benefit and get comfortable with expressing their feelings they will share their dis-satisfaction, even if minor, in a much “nicer” way. This allows you to correct little annoyances early, maintain stronger customer relationships, and prevent lost customers.

Requesting feedback will also protect your business from those reputation damaging online reviews that come out of nowhere. Most customer relationships die from many small cuts that business managers are unaware of… They build up until anger reaches the breaking point and you loose twice: a bad review and a lost customer. Ouch!

The other major benefit seen from customer feedback was an increase in advertising response. Now days the first thing potential new customers do after seeing any advertisement you use, or even word-of-mouth from current customers, is to check your online reputation.

Having testimonials on your website, and getting those “reviews”, that you control, listed above third party review websites, will greatly improve how your advertising works. And this reputation reinforcement works with “any” type of advertising.
    A good customer feedback system can be the most economical and effective way to grow your business. Just gathering reviews is short changing your efforts.

Hope this helps,
    Doug

• repairpalstephanie

September 26, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Hey there,

RepairPal certifies high-quality shops and then collects verified reviews for your shop, with no work on your part.  And we verify that all reviews are from actual customers. These reviews are then posted on your RepairPal profile, and can also be picked up by Google to improve your search rankings.

You can see an example here: https://repairpal.com/miamis-quality-auto-repair-2

For more information, check out: https://repairpal-shops.com/main