Home » Forums » Everything Else » Few Topics are hotter than giving pricing over the phone (or email)

Home Forums Everything Else Few Topics are hotter than giving pricing over the phone (or email)

• Few Topics are hotter than giving pricing over the phone (or email)

Posted by Tom on December 3, 2021 at 2:36 pm

Often, both sides are pretty well dug in with their point of view and are sure the other side is insane. Usually, the discussion seems more focused on emotion than facts.

So, here’s my question:

What are your top reasons (three would be nice) for your position?

William Hill replied 2 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • russmccloud

December 6, 2021 at 11:50 am
    1. In general, we do not quote prices over the phone citing the fact that it is unprofessional to create an “estimate” without first inspecting the vehicle. I explain that if we quote what we are being asked to quote and then there is additional (or different) work that needs to be done thus increasing the price, we look bad and the customer is unhappy.
    2. If we are slow and need work, the most often requested estimate is for brake work, we will offer a free brake inspection in an effort to get the job in the door.
    3. Again, if we are slow and the techs need work, we will once in a while “low-ball” the estimate. The job won’t be as profitable but two things happen if we land the job. The tech’s income is helped and now this customer “knows” we are the least expensive place in town. Not the ideal client but every little bit helps.

So, as you can see, for us the answer is, “it depends”. 🙂

• David

December 6, 2021 at 12:29 pm

We give estimates over the phone probably 80% of the time.  We are a specialty shop only servicing 3-4 brands so that makes things easier. We have lots of similar repairs on same models, giving an estimate is fairly easy.  The point I want to make is that we have heard from countless customers that are shopping around that they chose us because we would answer their questions about price. Their level of frustration with shops that wouldn’t even give them a basic starting price led them to continue calling until someone would. Other shops worry about giving a price and having to change it when the customers actually have their car diagnosed but if the expectations are managed ahead of time, the element of surprise is much less than anticipated.   I realize all-brand shops have a harder time but if you have replaced intake manifold gaskets recently on a Chevy pickup, then what’s the problem giving them a basic price that you can modify as necessary?

• Rob Infantino

December 6, 2021 at 1:11 pm

I agree with @David. I will answer this question from the customer’s point of view.

At Openbay, an automotive service marketplace, we hear from consumers and business fleets all the time on this topic. Consumers today are all about speed, convenience and quality of service. They want as much information upfront about a service or product prior to any decision. If they are not getting what they want and when they want it (immediately), they move on to someone that will provide what they are looking for.

At Openbay, over 70% of the decisions on a service center comes down to proximity, not price. Consumers do not want to travel far for service. And they rely on customer ratings and reviews – they seek quality of service.

Don’t be afraid to provide general pricing with the stipulation a service tech will have final say it what services need to be performed and the price.

Rob

• William Hill

December 17, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Avg time to build a quote over the phone is about 15 minutes, If we do that twice a day. That’s 2 1/2 Hours a week.

I find in most cases, If I’m not the “Cheapest” they won’t schedule with me anyway! Even when we take the time to build the value. And all the steps we take to be sure the job is properly.

Lastly, Many times they are guessing what needs to be done, Because their neighbor is a “Mechanic”. Plus to many times one of the parts stores reads a code, Says it’s a 02 sensor, And when we do the testing it’s a Catalytic Converter.

vehicles built today are to complicated to shoot from the hip.

you can’t call your Doctor and tell him you need an Antibiotic, You have to go to his office and go thru the protocol. Blood pressure, Weight, Etc, Etc..