Home » Forums » Employees » Female Quick Lube Tech

Home Forums Employees Female Quick Lube Tech

• Female Quick Lube Tech

Posted by aaronk on September 16, 2013 at 11:43 am

We recently
    placed an ad for a new quick lube/ maintenance tech. So far we have had
    about 20 male applicants and 3 female applicants. This is interesting because I
    can’t remember ever receiving an application from female for a technician.
    The female
    applicants seem to be better prepared, more organized and interview better than
    the male applicants. In fact the three female applicants are at the top of our
    prospect list! All have prior experience with a dealership, quick lube or
    independent repair facility.
    With the
    exception of our female employee’s in the office we have never had a
    female tech work in the shop but we are definitely are open to the idea.
    Has anyone hired or currently employ a female tech? Did you run into any issues
    between the male and female techs in the shop?
    Many
    thoughts have gone through my head like employees dating, “typical male
    talk” possibly offending and employee, the physical demands of automotive
    repair, etc.

If anyone
    has any comments or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

jake replied 10 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • George Smith

September 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm

We have a female Lube Tech, and looking for a couple just like her!!  No problems in a year, or atleast nothing I am aware of or has come across my desk. 

The girl is tough, can run with the best of them, and pays much better attention to the details IMHO!

• Tom

September 17, 2013 at 6:26 am

Ask your other employees (both shop and office) for input.

Ask your spouse, too.
    Perfect situation for a 30 day trial period.
  • Ron Smith

September 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

We hired a female tech student this summer for a lube/tire tech position. She has done very well and the other male techs all got along well with her and helped her when needed. It did clean up the language in the shop without anything being said by us! She is a second year student working part-time for us this semester and we will be employing her full-time after graduation this summer.

• deanh612

September 23, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I have had two female techs over the years and had no issues with them fitting in with the other employees. To address some previous comments, there should be no issue with rough language since it has no place in a shop. To Tom”s comment, if you normally include shop and office personnel by all means do so based on the same criteria as anyone else. As for the 30 day trial period I would say only if that is how you do all your hiring. 

• ltm

September 24, 2013 at 7:00 am

We have employed female techs and greeters for 15 years,
    having a female owner make a big difference also. We have had no issues; actually
    we think that’s what set us apart from our competition. But it takes a different
    type of female to be good at it, but when you find one there like gold, most of
    the girls we have 5 years plus, one 15.by far the best sales, service writers   

• wrenchie

February 3, 2014 at 2:34 am

I am a woman, started as a lube tech, went to vocational training for Automotive Technology (myself and 2 other girls, rest guys). I have been in the industry for 13 + years, I maintain my female appearance 100%.

I have works with all kinds of techs, awesome guys -no problems , and the “u aint gonna do better than me” problem techs.

1. In the auto industry, most of us have potty mouths (keep it quiet do not let customers hear) …

so hiring a female, she will need to be able to have a sense of humor, and be able to deal with guy talk at times.

Maintain professionalism

But most important, times have changed, We all have valuable skills and work as a team.

If there are any workplaces issues that arise with the male/female work environment..deal with it immediately! Talk to your team, find out the communication problems and work with eachother solve it right away…trust me. Customers watch how we all work together when they come in for preventative maintenance, if it is a happy team enviroment, caring, honest, dedicated to providing customers with the best service experience….then they will be happy and your team, are gold.

• jake

February 3, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Check out the book “When Fish Fly”  It’s available on Kindle, Kobo, etc.  Have you heard about the Pikes Place Fish Market in Seattle?  It’s about their culture.

This is what it’s all about; “If there are any workplaces issues that arise with the male/female work
    environment..deal with it immediately! Talk to your team, find out the
    communication problems and work with eachother solve it right
    away…trust me. Customers watch how we all work together when they come
    in for preventative maintenance, if it is a happy team enviroment,
    caring, honest, dedicated to providing customers with the best service
    experience….then they will be happy and your team, are gold”