Home » Forums » Employees » Expeditor

Home Forums Employees Expeditor

• Expeditor

Posted by George Smith on December 31, 2013 at 9:26 am

Well our shop has grown at a fast pace in the last year and I think it is time for an expeditor as a liasion between the writers and the techs.  Any body out there use expeditors?  I’m interested in finding out more about the position, as I haven’t worked in a shop that had one.  Lead tech is just to busy to do it, as I have tried but he gets bogged down in tough diag jobs and don’t have the time to check on the others as should.

Any help is appreciated!!

Lee

Patrick McElroy replied 10 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Patrick McElroy

January 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Hi Lee,
    What you call an expediter, I call a service manager. ( same difference ). This persons job is to manage the work flow in the shop. He / She will make sure that jobs are assigned to techs best able to perform repairs on a timely basis. He will make sure the techs recommendations are proper, ethical, & legal. He needs to monitor and intervene on the techs when they are wasting too much time on a diagnosis, or getting “bogged down” on a repair and killing shop productivity. He needs to keep the service writers updated on the work flow throughout the day. He needs to track the flow of parts into the shop and make sure a vehicle is not tying up lift space because parts are hours away. On more complicated repairs, he may need to communicate with the customer directly. His goal is to keep the techs productivity at the highest possible level.
    Pat