Home » Forums » Employees » Every Employee Needs 20/20 Vision

Home Forums Employees Every Employee Needs 20/20 Vision

• Every Employee Needs 20/20 Vision

Posted by J. Larry Bloodworth on March 30, 2023 at 10:42 am

When we were young, we had 20/20 vision. Somewhere around the age of 40, our vision unknowingly began to deteriorate. It’s such a subtle change it goes on with little to no obvious sign. Just the thought of wearing glasses is very uncomfortable to me. It makes me think I’m getting old. Not everyone can afford an eye exam and glasses, either.

I’ve been wearing glasses for the last 27 years. I’ve noticed a gradual decline in my eyesight for those 27 years because every year, a new prescription gets a little bit stronger. But that’s OK because I still have 20/20 vision with my glasses. Without them, my eyesight is really poor.

I once had a middle-aged builder who would miss little things like bad bushings, thrust washers, and ring lands. It finally dawned on me one day that I never saw this middle-aged builder with glasses. He had none. One day I offered to take him to Costco for their $1.50 hot dog and a drink. My ulterior motive was to get his eyes examined and get him fitted for glasses.

It worked. He already knew his eyesight was poor yet chose to do nothing about it. Here I was footing the bill. For a mere $125, he got his eyes examined and a new pair of glasses. The best investment a shop owner could invest in… their staff.

The moral of the story is to have any employee 40 or older get their eyes examined. It doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. You’ll also have fewer warranty jobs as a result.

Tom replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Tom

March 31, 2023 at 11:07 am

Larry, great story and a great tip! I just added an annually recurring date to my calendar to ask all employees when was their last eye exam.

I got my first glasses when I was ten, so they are just part of my body. 🙂