Home » Forums » Employees » Employee Considering a new career

Home Forums Employees Employee Considering a new career

• Employee Considering a new career

Posted by charles longo on February 1, 2018 at 8:24 pm

We are a 65 year old business, traditional in many ways, sometimes too complacent. I have a very good technician with us for 13 years who is interesting in joining the local police department. We had a very open discussion and I told him I would work with him. He applied last year and was rejected, I suspect the same turn out this year. In the meantime I am in limbo. He could leave tomorrow or stay frustrated and stay indefinitely. His work is still very stellar, and he is very honorable, honest, hard working, a team player. I also have two young, very new to the industry technicians who aren’t keeping pace with the flow of work. I was contacted by a very good 25 year veteran who wants a change, not pleased with his current situation who would like to join our company. Talk about a mixed bag of headaches, here they are. I would love to hear from you regarding the famous question;’what would you do.’ Thanks Charlie

Tom Knapp replied 6 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Brian Maillet

February 2, 2018 at 7:50 pm

If the vet checks out and I mean checking past 5/10 years worth of his resume , go with vet . Unless you want to not only pay your rookies but also lose production everyday .

• George Smith

February 5, 2018 at 2:04 pm

If your guy is dead set on leaving when he finds a job, you must protect your company and replace him as you find someone.  The bigger question is, do you replace one of the journeyman or the guy that you think may leave?  With him being with you that many years and is as down to earth as you say, I would pull him in the office and talk it over with him, show him that you don’t want to make that decision, but for the company you must and see which way he sways.  This talk will also give you a lot of inside information on how his head is.  IMHO

• Byron Tuininga

February 6, 2018 at 10:24 am

I tend to agree with lsmith, find out how he responds to you moving ahead on it especially seeing as he is the one that put this in motion. It is not really an option to keep yourself and your business in limbo waiting on him to move on. If you get be ready and have a replacement before he moves on because a good candidate comes up you have to make that move.

• eric davis

February 7, 2018 at 8:13 am

Why not hire the new vet and still leave your other one in place? If he does leave you, you won’t be hurt you and it would also give you a stronger platform to bring along your younger technicians. If the shop is to small for 4 techs let one of the weaker guys go.

• johnschindel

February 7, 2018 at 4:45 pm

I’d have to agree with Eric Davis; when describing your two novices you didn’t indicate that either was making the progress that would lead you to believe they’re going to turn things around.  Regardless of which way you go, I’d still have the very frank talk with the journeyman so he’s not blindsided by your bringing in another technician.

• stevebfl

February 9, 2018 at 11:38 am

I also agree with Eric.  If your guy does become a cop you have a good idea whether you have replaced him.  Experienced techs aren’t all they are cut out to be sometimes.  Various issues make it so the situation won’t work.  either he expects more from you or your shop policies don’t won’t with him.  I would rather create a great tech from raw materials than have a great one join and find they won’t work your way.

Hopefully you can absorb him till you are certain he will work out.  In the mean time allow one of your young guys to work as an apprentice to one of the senior guys.

• Tom Knapp

February 9, 2018 at 8:05 pm

I would certainly look in the the vet. The mechanic looking seems to want a change .  I had a guy work for me 10 yrs he wanted something different it took 3  different interviews be he wanted a change. when he leaves you need things in place before not after.  Tom