Home » Forums » Everything Else » ASE Test expire too soon

Home Forums Everything Else ASE Test expire too soon

• ASE Test expire too soon

Posted by Site Administrator on September 2, 2019 at 9:32 am

My opinion on ase test differs, Coming from Michigan we have automotive state test that does not expire except for electrical, tune-up and brakes. I feel Ase test should be non-expiring or at least be current for at least 10 years since the industry doesn’t change that much, it’s all about the money for ASE but what can you do, it’s a plus bc it sets you apart and gives you a edge for a job opportunity. For me I passed the state test no problem and with Ase I failed more times until I passed. Working as a Aircraft technician since 2006 my Aviation certification never expires but I stay current on my ASE incase the major Airline I work for lays me off. I have two associates degrees one in Automotive, one in Aviation and a certificate in Diesel technology, I have worked on motorcycles, farm equipment, engine change shop for cars, transmissions, and over 15 types of aircraft doing preventive maintenance and traveling state to state doing engine changes on airplanes and even working for free at the hospital as a biomedical technician to learn the trade rather than go to school. I’m more of a hands on type of person rather than a bookworm and can fix, troubleshoot and diagnose any issue. I don’t know everything though and will admit it and I’m always willing to learn from anyone. A piece of paper doesn’t mean anything and I have seen people in many trades with degrees an certificates that make you wonder how in the world! Some people are good at both though but for me it’s sometime a challenge with those ASE test only for some reason. I also feel that Automotive and Diesel technicians should get paid much more for their talent, responsibility, and for what they have to invest into their tools and toolbox. Most shops and dealers make too much profit and shortchange the technician, I feel a seasoned technician in Automotive should not be at the hands of a dealer or economy short changing them with pay. In Michigan after working six years as a level 4 tech. I earned over 50 grand. Here in Illinois at the major airline I earn up to and around 100 grand with overtime but it took time to make it from the smaller regional airlines where my salary was around anywhere 30-50 grand. Being out of the field of Automotive but only as a hobby; can I get some input of others and salaries currently in the field? I say this bc in case I get laid off bc you never know in the airlines… and as well with experience of people working in the dealership? I worked at Sears in Michigan now closed a 20 bay shop where I could work on 5 cars at a time and split my commission with the junior techs so we would never turn customers away, we were nascar fast, I really enjoyed automotive and still do but now I fix and taxi airplanes. Please leave input on your experience, in diesel, automotive, or related career fields and salary? Let’s educate each other. And lastly ASE certification should never expire or last at least 10 years when other career fields don’t have to pay a agency for certification because it doesn’t expire.

Joe

cumminsdoc replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • J. Larry Bloodworth

September 5, 2019 at 7:48 am

I’ve been taking the ASE tests for more than 40 years.  Started when it was NIASE.  I always thought of it sort of like a driver’s license and never question it nor had anything else to compare it to.  At least you’re taking the tests.  Good for you.

• cumminsdoc

September 10, 2019 at 5:30 pm

I took my first ASE test back in 1991. I believe the 5 year expiration on the current tests is just about right. I have seen a whole lot of change in technology since I got into this field in 1988. Technology upgrades are happening at an exponentially increasing rate. I only see this rate growing. Between CAFE, emissions and ADAS all systems on the vehicle are being effected. When I started in this business we had been using the same refrigerant for 30 or more years. Since 1994 we have gotten two new refrigerants in production and I know of at least two more that are in development to replace those. While the basic operation of the system remains the same, ie using a change of state from  liquid to gas and back to liquid to remove heat from the cabin, the operational characteristics, control systems and safe handling practices are very different. Engine technology has been changing rapidly over the last 15-20 years and that pace of change is only quickening. Who would have imagined 10 years ago that we would see engines with no camshaft physically attached to the valves or even no camshaft at all? These are just a few examples. I could go on for days and touch every system on the vehicle. At the current rate of advancement I honestly believe we will see a day when the ASE tests will need to have a 3 year expiration period on some systems in order to be relevant.