Home » Forums » Parts and Tire related topics » antifreeze/atf pricing?

Home Forums Parts and Tire related topics antifreeze/atf pricing?

• antifreeze/atf pricing?

Posted by Joseph Van syoc on April 10, 2020 at 2:24 pm

With the proliferation of vehicle specific antifreeze and ATF’s, with more synthetic ATF and extended life antifreeze, jobber prices can be as high as $25 gal for antifreeze, and $8 for ATF.  So do you mark these items like you would any other part, use list price, or a lower GP%?   Let’s just use Dexcool and Dexron VI as examples.  What do you charge?  Buying by the barrel is not practical in my case, so gallon and quart prices please

Dennis replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Tom

April 11, 2020 at 9:58 am

We treat them the same as we do parts. Selling price is based on cost and a multiplier. Margins are a bit lower.

• Joseph Van syoc

April 11, 2020 at 1:50 pm

what margin works best for you?

• Tom

April 12, 2020 at 9:19 am

Most fluid margins 40% to 50% (to be clear, NOT mark-up)

• Joseph Van syoc

April 12, 2020 at 1:47 pm

thanks, you will note that I ask a lot of questions regarding pricing and margins.  I have two objectives, first, to have a profitable price point, second, to be inline with industry norms.  That is not to be excessively high or low.  My prices tend to be on the high side for my immediate area, but low if you take in other areas of my state or the country.  I like to know what others are charging so that I have both a benchmark and a good starting point.

• Dennis

April 15, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Dexron vi  c. $7.33  s. $12.99

Merc V  c. $5.26   s. $ $10.32

some fluids higher markup some lower like Nissan specific CVT fluid